Help!! ma best friends a cutter!!!

hi! im really comfused becuz my BESTEST friend is a cutter. she has little star designs all up and down her wrists. wut do i do??? i really need some help on this 1. i dont know if i should tell an adult becuz shell hate me and i dont want that. onb the other hand i want to to stop her and get her some help. she wont tell ANY1 y shes depressed. plz help. it wuld b VERY appreciated!!

thanx xxx emma xxx

Well, what kind of friend would you be if you didn't get her some help and she took her depression further, if you know what i mean. Sometimes being a good friend isn't always the easiest thing to do. When people are depressed they don't always make good choices and thats why they need help. I would strongly suggest talking to her parents or a counselor about the situation. She may end up hating you or not wanting to be your friend anymore, but in the end you may save her life which she might thank you for later.

as someone who cuts i know from watching the people around me how hard it is to handle someone close to you injuring themselves. *sigh* i don't know your friend as a person, so it's hard to know what to say because this situation is different with every person. i am not suicidal, i cut as an emotional release, not to attempt suicide. do you know which of those two is your friend? when my parents found out and many other people it just put more stress on me and counseling does too. it helps me to just talk to people that are like me. i really don't know what else to say because it didnt help me when more people got involved in my problems, but the things that worsen my situation may help her... so i hope someone else will reply and share their views...

EmptySoul

Basically, Talk to your friend and let your friend know that they aren't alone in the world and that you care..Make sure your friend know that you will always be there if needed to talk too. I don't really think that you should tell an adult, But that's only because I wouldn't want anyone to tell on me, It would be so much stressful. Plus they may not change their ways and would just hide their cutting, That's what I would do anyway. Maybe you should hang out with your friend more, so your friend wont feel so alone and wont have to result in cutting. I don't know.. Just my thoughts and what you should do, But you should do whatever you feel is right.

• 4 weeks later...

What you need to do is tell your friend's parents and you need to do it before you friend gets any deeper into deepretion, because chances are, if they're cutting themself, they are in a very deep one. If you want to truly be their friend then you need to get them help. If their cuts are on their wrists, mabee they want someone to see and that's their way of getting attention and crying out for help. I know from experience that often times people cut themselfs to get attention drawn to them so people can see that they're depressed and get help, that's their way of saying it w/out saying it. I don't know if that's the case w/ you friend, but you definatley need to get them help. Good luck w/ your friend, if you want to talk more e-mail me or talk to me on aim.

Though telling an adult is commonly known as the "good friend thing to do" talk to your friend first. I had someone very recently tell an adult about me, it was sort of a good thing but it didn't help me out of a depression or anything. I tried to stop because of it though, but all stopping's done is make me want to kill myself. Cutting isn't a suicide thing most of the time, talk to your friend. Before you do anything tell her that you want to tell an adult. That might just scare her out of doing it all on its own without bringing others into it. What to do is different for every person, not all of it lies in the hands of adults.

Dear Emma...( i think thats your name)

Anyways- About your friend...She is a cutter, theres no doubt about that. And you really do need to tell someone. She needs help, and obviously if she let you see it shes yelling and screaming (but silently ) for help. I had a friend, who was being melested and raped, and I was the only one she told...And i told a counslor and she got helped the guys is now punished and shes better. Hun, Honestly you need to tell. And, About her cutting stars...Maybe she lkes stars, and maybe if her parents will let her, she should get a tattoo of a star- Its the same thing as self mutilation, becuz scars and tattoos are pretty much both perminat. And, The tattoo she can show more and isnt so life threating...Maybe you should bring that up to her/him and If you do tell someone, Request to stay anonimus, and have them say the person had a glimse of wherever she cuts and they were conserned..Hope I was able to help, if you have anymore question...You know where to reach me...

or email me at email removed

hey. i know what you are feeling right now. one of my best friends has just recently cut, and i am stuck. he first did it a couple weeks ago...he kept on telling me that it was just a one time thing, and it wasn't going to happen again. but i kept on bugging him about it, and telling him that he needed to stop, or get some professional help. he got all mad at me and cut again. adam is no longer one of my friends...i appoligized to him, but he wouldn't except it. so i said goodbye to him. i don't know if i should tell his parents...i think that would just hurt him more. i have had some experience in this area, because my mom used to cut, and she has been to the hospital for it twice. but adam just thinks that i don't know what im talking about. your friend may feel the same way. i suggest giving your friend some space. if they don't stop, then try making it your problem. you tell them that you are really upset or something, they ask why, and you spill. this may help, and i really hope it does!!!!!! pm me if ya want!!!!!

truly,

**Hannah**