Just discouraged and can't get motivated

Hi all,

Six years ago I was making good money at a bank. I have an MBA and finally got the kind of job I'd always wanted, then got ruined there. I left my job and moved to another city. I thought I'd switch careers and started volunteering in social services. I did paid work in that field and it's so little money and so much stress so I am thinking it was a very wrong move.

With the economy the way it is and at the age of 50, I am really too old to try to get back into corporate America. Buh bye decent wages. I now find myself going to community college for a pharmacy tech program as they can't outsource that job and it's expected to grow. The only problem is the money is horrible. I don't know that I want to stand on my feet all day or that I even could. I signed up for the program to do *something* and get out of the house. Problem is I am finding I have zero motivation to do the work and already skipped one of the two nights of class. In my last educational endeavor I never missed class and finished with a 4.0 GPA.

Question - I know I am old now. I know I should have never left my job in banking. Switching to social services was a mistake. How can I motivate myself to learn something that will pay on average $12 an hour? I need something fast, cheap and so I signed up for this course. Thanks in advance.

I don't see why you can't go back to a job in banking - if you look hard enough for a banking job that is. You have experience and an MBA, you're qualifie for some type of banking job. Why do you have to switch careers yet again?

I've been out of the business world for six years now and am 50. In an economy like this, competition is stiff and a lot of jobs are no longer there. I guess I just feel like my skills are really dated and I'd be competing with so many people younger than me (read more marketable). My brother was put out to pasture at 53 from corporate America and maybe that colors my view. I don't know. It is just tough at this age or maybe I just believe it to be. I do know, however, ageism is alive and well.

In the day, I flew from one state to another for lunch to celebrate a campaign. Needless to say, I am having a tough time. Needless to say, I was a fool for leaving that job.

I guess I just feel like my skills are really dated and I'd be competing with so many people younger than me (read more marketable). My brother was put out to pasture at 53 from corporate America and maybe that colors my view. I don't know. It is just tough at this age or maybe I just believe it to be. I do know, however, ageism is alive and well.

Experienced applicants like yourself are far better off than us fledgling graduates. Why? Because practical experience trumps education, that's why. At the very least, you're manager material and most businesses should be willing to hire you! I should know; I have been turned down many a job above entry-level because my experience was not good enough, even though I could already do the job with my eyes closed and have a college degree to boot. The thing is, most employers would rather higher someone like you for the more important tasks, and rightfully so.

If you had to choose between an untested but brand-new car or an old yet very reliable version to transport your 5 yr old grand-daughter, which one would you choose? Well, that's not too different from most employers' perspectives.

And you're worried about your skills being outdated because of your age? The principles of accounting are still the same today as they were back then, and are still applicable to all businesses. You're being unfair with yourself. If you're talking about technology, then really all you need is the will to learn. Not a bigger brain, or younger body. Just the will. I've seen 60 yr olds go to college and blast right past the younger class members (and they were always among the more interesting bunch too ).

If most businesses don't hire you for anything, they're either idiots with some anti-business attitude like "ageism" or are too scared for some legal reason I'm not aware of. Unlikely to happen in this day and age where practical expereince is being heavily favored more than ever.

Anotherday, get out there and prove your stuff! You're still hirable, even if you have to take a lesser-paying position than the one at the bank.

Besides, we should all know by now that the banking industry as a whole is on shaky ground. Perhaps it was a good thing you decided to get out when you did.

If I were you, I would be very careful with the reserves I have built up and look into building some permanent income, like an online prospect, where you can simply work from home, using your developed skills to your advantage. No age requirements online, intelligence is always desired. If you are well seasoned in financial, you have much to offer on your own, in today's and the future economy. Marketing is of course a part of the online process, but that is easy today.

I am not going to tell you you that you don't have to work hard, I am telling you that you can run your own company, pocket more money, and forget the red tape of working for some other high end bank.

If I were you, I would be very careful with the reserves I have built up and look into building some permanent income, like an online prospect, where you can simply work from home, using your developed skills to your advantage. No age requirements online, intelligence is always desired. If you are well seasoned in financial, you have much to offer on your own, in today's and the future economy. Marketing is of course a part of the online process, but that is easy today.

I am not going to tell you you that you don't have to work hard, I am telling you that you can run your own company, pocket more money, and forget the red tape of working for some other high end bank.

This is actually a very good idea. I'm currently learning how to set up my own website and can safely say that it's an ideal self-marketing tool.

Archived