Getting onto a Fine Art University course.

I am going to apply to go to Uni to do fine arts. The interview is in May. You need a strong portfolio of work. I am 31 and have only been painting for a year, with no training. I am so scared to not getting in. I will be working a lot on my personal statement for the next two months so that should be fine, and my CV is OK (but not art related)

I really want this. I have a sporadic job history and have hated most jobs I have had. Art is my passion. I live and breathe it! I dont know what job I can get at the end, but I am just so looking forward to learning from great teachers (The school has a brilliant reputation)

Any advice for the portfolio? Should I bring more than one portfolio? I also do some photograhy - should I include it/is it relevant? (The course is fine arts with an emphathis on painting) One last thing, I have no drawings! Should I really try and produce some drawings for the next two months or are just paintings OK.

Thank you so much for any answers. I dont know what i'll do if I don't get in so I really appreciate your advice

You should definatly keep working on drawings and paintings for you portfolio. I would include the photography as well. However, it's more about quality than quantity. Maybe you should look in to hiring a private teacher for these next couple of months to help you put one together. I know you really want this, I can tell, but lets say it doesn't happen this time around. Have you considered some training at a community college first? It would definatley help your chances. Best of luck.

I went to Art School and would recommend drawing everyday. Carry a sketchbook with you at all times Draw from life and observe life. Don't let one day go by where you aren't drawing/painting something.

Check out this forum below if you want to post your work and get real constructive critique and feedback. Many amazing artists on the site and who run the site.

link removed

Don't give up if you get rejected from the University. Just keep practicing at it and apply next semester or apply elsewhere.

Good luck!

Archived