Help with an illustration

Need some comments and suggestions...

A friend asked that I illustrate his short story, the end scene of which is the lovers in a final embrace after they have both committed suicide. I've reworked the woman's neck a couple of times and have become frustrated. I don't want to do any more work on it because the integrity of the paper will start to suffer. I'm wondering if it is realistic looking as is or if I do need to change her throat (maybe some suggestions as to what its lacking).

link removed

Well, I'm not sure how you'd change the neck if the paper's already maxed out as you say. I'd say the wound looks realistic alright, but maybe a bit like a partial decapitation is the only criticism I have of it. Do you do transfer techniques from sketches? I'd definitely do that in the future, to make sure the composition is exactly what you want to start.

I think you got the emotional feeling you were after.

But I would work the lower right quadrant up. I'm not sure what's going on with her shoulder on that side, and there seems to be a line running through it but I don't know what it is. Blood? And is that fainter curve a breast? It seems undefined in that area.

Great seeing you again, CB.

Thank you everyone.

jc123: He did kill himself, slit his throat.

TOV: That quad is not finished, the line is his blood and the curve is the neckline of her clothing. I'm thinking the blood line needs some errant droplets to give it interest and soften the harsh directionality it moves the eye (yes? no? suggestions?). Her clothing is a point of debate as well, it is blank as of yet, but I feel a soft draped look in mid tones to darken the corner would give it weight to balance the opposite corner. Not too fussy, just some wrinkles to make the fabric of it apparent (yes? no? suggestions?).

• 3 weeks later...

TOV: That quad is not finished, the line is his blood and the curve is the neckline of her clothing. I'm thinking the blood line needs some errant droplets to give it interest and soften the harsh directionality it moves the eye (yes? no? suggestions?). Her clothing is a point of debate as well, it is blank as of yet, but I feel a soft draped look in mid tones to darken the corner would give it weight to balance the opposite corner. Not too fussy, just some wrinkles to make the fabric of it apparent (yes? no? suggestions?).

I don't know if this is timely enough a reply that you haven't already finished the piece and given it to your friend (sorry, I was absent here), but in case you're still working on it, I think both your ideas for improving it are good.

I think if you defined her collarbone a bit more, and gave the blood a look of conforming to the contours of her body, it would also ease the harsh directionality. The most important thing is this, that it appears to follow her own form, and for her form to be clear, with or without errant drops (which I would not overdo).

I agree on the fabric -- that it would be good to have a mid-tone shade to balance the opposite corner, but again, go easy. I wouldn't try to match the values to the opposite corner (the negative space) because then it would compete too much. I'd define the folds of the drapery to bring them a 3-D look, but not make them too dark. Keep them lighter than the upper left quad, except for a bit more shading in the deeper folded areas at the lower right quad, nearer to the corner of the piece. And yes, not too fussy. Simplify the forms.

You should post the final product here once done! That'd be cool.