How long will it be until I no longer think of him? It’s been almost nine months since we’ve been broken up and while I don’t still miss and I no longer love him I can’t help but think about him everyday and I just want it to stop. Is it because I haven’t had a serious relationship with anyone else? Like I said, I don’t miss him but I do miss the relationship that we shared and I really want to experience that with another person. I just want to move on and I don’t want to feel like this relationship and break up is taking over my life. And when I think about things I don’t get sad and I don’t get mad, I just kind of feel nothing…

What are some of your experiences with this? How long has it taken you?

I think that as soon as i get into a relationship with someone who i actually like and have a connection with (dated someone who i didn't actually like for a month - rebound guy) that i'll be able to stop thinking of him. The old saying "the only way to get over a guy is to get under a new one"

But i just don't know what to do until then. It's not like i think of him 24/7 all day but i do think of him throughout the day and i just want it to stop.

The old saying "the only way to get over a guy is to get under a new one"

Which is the biggest bull in the entire world. The only true way to get over someone is time. 9 months isn't a long time, and I'm at this stage as well, though I do still miss him terribly. But anyways... Dating someone new may distract you for a while, but in the middle of the moments when you and the new partner aren't talking or whatever, you are going to think back on the ex. So don't kid yourself with that statement above. It simply isn't true, at all.

Time heals all wounds. Trust me.

Not to mention you may dump your burden on an unsuspecting guy... Perhaps you aren't hurting as deeply, because I'd never want to put this hurt on anyone...

Agreed. You're just ignoring the issues by getting with someone else.

The bad thing is there is not time limit. I'm just over 3 months and she's on my mind all day, every day. I've read about people on here well over a year with the same problem.

In the end it's up to you. If you don't want anything else from him, just forgive what happened and let it go.

I agree with jimmajam,

its your choice. but i wouldnt be with anyone else just to get over someone... it can create other problems for you and the new one...

Also... it take take long depending on several things such as involvement, personality, particular situation etc... I am more than 1 year and i still have no understanding of why it happened and why she left and it hurts at times... but maybe after a while, stayin alone also gets difficult so you should look for somebody...

but in the early stage, i think it would be a bad idea....

Archived