Chest pain on treadmill

Hugwolf

I recently started using a treadmill at my gym in addition to other equipment but am experiencing a pain in my chest after running for about 5 minutes. The pain runs from my right collarbone down the side of my chest to the bottom of my ribs.

I'm pretty sure it is not my heart since no other type of cardiovascular exercise does this. Once the pain has set in, large breaths hurt a bit too.

I can only think of a few differences between running and everything else I do: There's a lot more repeated impact while running, and nothing else that I do has me moving my arms forward and back so quickly so frequently.

Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas? I can only stand about 5 minutes of running before I have to stop because of this.

It could be your heart, it could be asthma, it could be that you are over-doing it.

Anything to do with labored breathing and chest pain should never be brushed off. You should tell your doctor. A stress/test treadmill test at the doctor's office should be able to tell you exactly what is going on:

link removed

I'm pretty sure it is not my heart since no other type of cardiovascular exercise does this.

Keep in mind that cardiologists specifically use treadmills for stress tests for just that reason- they tend to bring out symptoms more than other forms of exertion might.

I'm not trying to scare you but you really should look into this. Hopefully it is nothing, and just an endurance issue- but if it was more serious, the earlier you know the earlier you could get treatment which could dramatically change your life for the better.

My father had a heart attack in his mid twenties and didn't know it was coming. Even at your young age, you need to be really thorough when it comes to your health. Never try to guess something like this.

Until you know what is going on- don't run on that treadmill.

You're both right, it would probably be a better idea to have it looked at than to continue running. I'll have to look into what I can afford right now, or put it on a credit card or something.

BellaDonna: Your comment about the treadmill being used by cardiologists is interesting, because I have found that it is very easy to push my heart rate up very quickly. I guess that high impact is what attracted me to using the treadmill more. But I'll stay from it until I can see a doctor.

When is a Regular Stress Test ordered? A regular stress test is considered in the following circumstances

• Patients with symptoms or signs that are suggestive of coronary artery diseases (CAD).
  • Patients with significant risk factors for CAD.
  • To evaluate exercise tolerance when patients have unexplained fatigue and shortness of breath

Archived