Your age, your salary, and how much you save

grymoire

wow HP... you manage to save 500 pounds out of 3000 pounds... that's impressive. do you live by yourself? or with room-mates? also, do you cook at home? i never cook at home

Live by myself, pay all my bills by myself, help out my mum when I can.

It's not hard - I take in lunch, try not to waste money; didn't you have a similar thread a while back with loads of good ideas???

Seriously - you earn such a lot of money, do you not save at all????

Try writing down every single thing you spend for a month, and then doing a budget.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Live by myself, pay all my bills by myself, help out my mum when I can.

It's not hard - I take in lunch, try not to waste money; didn't you have a similar thread a while back with loads of good ideas???

Seriously - you earn such a lot of money, do you not save at all????

Try writing down every single thing you spend for a month, and then doing a budget.

Yes I did.

I started another thread (this one) because I felt bad about my friends and my cousin having homes and me still living in a rented apartment.

I actually calculated my expenses and noticed that I spend $500 per month just on eating outside I NEVER cook at home. That's the first thing to change.

Age- 25

Salary- $44,000 year- gross

Savings $0

I'm trrying to pay off all my debt so I don't really save. I also live a little beyond my means. Whenever I do get some money set aside something comes up- car problems, cracking a tooth biking, eyecare, etc... or I run into a once in a lifetime bargain.

I "save" minus $100 a week because I end up spending that much more than I earn a week. I was just being funny. lol.

Here an average wage for a full time administration worker is between $25,000 and $40,000. The highest wage you can expect for someone like a PA or executive assistant is around $45,000.

A junior wage - if you're under the age of 18 - is around $15,000 to $22,000.

Someone who works in McDonalds here I think gets around $12 or $14 an hour or something.

When I was 22-24 years old in my legal secretary job in Melbourne, I earnt $18 an hour. I'm now 31 and in a secretarial role again, part time (here part time people are supposed to get a higher hourly rate than full time people. SUPPOSED to, but don't always), and I get $19.50 an hour, after working in the same role for 3 years. No pay rise for 2 years. *sigh*

Everything goes up, rent, home loan payments, insurance, groceries, transport...but your salary doesn't.

Oh, and we get taxed as we go. Part of your pay is taken out in tax, and when you lodge your tax return each year, they either take more or pay you back.

Also, I used to be able to supplement my income with bank interest. I used to have more savings than I have now and earnt around 7% on them, but now the rates have plummeted, I only earn 3% on a lot less savings, so that's lowered my income also.

ENA friends,

Can you let me know the following:

1) your age

2) your monthly salary

3) how much you save per month

If you are not comfortable with answering 1 and/or 2 that's fine. I mainly want to know how much you guys manage to save per month.

1. Almost 32

2. Around $11,000/month

3. There's no set figure...I've got around $150k between savings and retirement funding

I will say however that if you are trying to compare your age and earnings/savings with those who respond simply by numbers you're just going to set yourself up thinking you're inadequate or not doing well enough. That sort of mentality can be hard on you, especially if you are driven solely by dollar signs. My advice is not to take jobs just for the money. Some of the previous jobs I had, while they paid well, were absolutely killing me in terms of how much time I had to put in and how little of a social life I had left when I quit.

Archived