Being friends. Really, truly friends.

From November 2007-January 2009 I was dating my first boyfriend. I was madly in love but as a result of his "coolness", I decided that I wasn't getting the love I needed from him and called it quits. He again played it cool and was all "whatever" about it. We remained friends. Till this day it's safe to say he's the only guy I've loved.

I had a massive fight with his best friend in around May, and he got involved. the fight was really serious. We stopped talking.

Since May he's said words to me at school here and there, always cordial but it's been weird to say the least, and I've always kept conversation minimal because I didn't see the point of being friends again.

On Thursday night we were at a school function. We were left alone for a while and conversation just started. We sat, we had a deep&meaningful, we laughed a bunch.. and he apologised about all he'd done during the fight. It was all really emotional.

Since Thursday we've been talking heaps, basically confiding in each other & giving each other advice.

The problem is... he kind of crosses some boundaries. He's a simple guy, not the sharpest tool in the box, and not really great with words. So he says.. relationshippy things. Or maybe I'm just misinterpreting things?

Examples:

"I'm driving you to college next year, you're not taking the train, or I swear to god, I'll never talk to you again".

Him- I'm bad at relationships.

Me- No.. but sometimes you neglect to build a solid foundation of love, compassion, trust and communication... those things can make or break a relationship if they're not 100%.

Him- We had all those and we still broke up.

Me- We weren't really right for each other.

Him- Yeah. I hate problems in relationships. I hate fights. I just don't like dealing with them. But with you... even though I was distant.. we always got over fights.

Me- Not always.

Him- Except the last time.

"So are you smiling? How would you rate my ability to make you smile?"

"I'm going to give you a proper birthday next year. I never gave you that, but I promise. "

-

I kind of laugh off most of the things he says, a nervous kind of "kk someone save me before this gets more awkwarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd" laugh. I don't see myself falling for him or anything but I'm kind of scared that our friendship will hinder my chances at other relationships, because next year we'll pretty much always be together b/c of colleg. He's an intimidating guy and I reeeeeeally dont want to scare people off because of it.

Insight?

Archived