What to Do?

mikeca

Hey all, its been quite sometime since i've posted on this forum. I believe though it helped me once, your opinions can help again. I was on here in the past regarding a breakup but now its a new attraction, the first one in a long time, heres my situation:

I'm working with this girl where I'm her direct superior, I'm 24 and shes 18. I never thought anything of her up until a few months ago, I mean shes a very pretty girl but I've always had rules that I wouldnt date a co-worker, or even be one of those guys who dates sometime a lot younger than them. After hanging with her outside of work Ive started to feel something I hadn't since my ex and I broke up back in 2007. I started hanging out with her more and finding we have a great rapport. Finally last week I built enough confidence to tell her how I feel after one of our usual run/walks. She told me she feels something as well. However at the end of the month shes leaving town (moving 100km) to attend college to become a nurse, and shes been out of a relationship for only 3months; she tells me she feels like she is being pulled in every direction so I suggested some space but she denies it. I myself am trying to become a police officer so that adds some more distance if I am accepted. (although if we are together nurses and cops can move together with ease)

Basically I feel something for this girl (and vice versa) that has caused me to break my own 'rules' and I can say I haven't felt this way in a very long time (she does as well) and I don't want it to slip away on nothing but bad timing. I know I may face the option of her leaving and that being the end of it but I don't think she wants that but is just really confused and I'm looking for advice or someone with a similar experience, like i said it has been...awhile and I could use some outside perspective.

My advice would be try to enjoy the feelings you are having

Its new, its exciting and in my humble opinion who's to say you cant give long distance a try if things are going really well. Take each day as it comes, take her on dates. The worst that could happen is that you mutually decide not to take it further when she moves away, but you would have had a nice few months together and a good healthy experience.

I think if the feelings are strong, she wont necessarily want to break up with you just because shes in college, try not to think that far ahead for now like I say.

Carpe Diem (Seize the Day) x x x

As an older gent, she will ultimately look up to you. She is quite young though, so bear in mind that she may decide she wants to live her life to the maximum and may not be ready to settle down. Keep it light and see where time takes you.

I think sometimes people (me included) put too much emphasis on the what-ifs and it makes us forget to live in the now. Let me know how things progress.

x

(p.s the only thing I would maybe be careful of is the work situation. Are there company policies against dating coworkers? I dont think this should matter so much if you keep it discreet, but try not to let it interfere with your work. You may find you have to keep your relationship a little bit secret until one of you no longer works there, but that can be exciting.)

I think your spot on, I was thinking a lot about this today at work that I may have put too much pressure on her to make a choice so soon, so I'm going to take a step back and just keep things in the now. Just worry about hanging out when we can and just focus on the fun stuff, if it happens great if it doesn't it'll be more experience to learn from. Thanks.

Archived