I have been on birth control pills for 6 years now, and would like to get off of them.

I do not like using condoms because of irritation.

I am in my mid-20's and not ready for children yet.

I am searching other forms of birth control, so far the diaphragm looks best.

Any advice?

i have implanon. it's inserted in my arm and is good for 3 years. i have had no side effects and very light periods. i still have a sex drive, i have no period cramps, no crazy skin problems (that i didn't already have). i like it much better than the pill.

Ive had implanon and had nothing but problems with it. Low libido, skin break outs, bloating, depression, irritability.

that's nuts...i've had the complete opposite with it!

i suppose it's like any birth control out there...some people get side effects that others dont.

I've had good luck with the NuvaRing also, but I think I might consider getting off of it. It can increase ones chances of getting yeast infections, and I think it maybe irritates me sometimes, by giving me an increased amount of discharge. I've been on it for two years now, but it increased and thickened my everyday discharge a lot.

Do you not want hormonal birth control? If you are planning to use something like a diaphragm, maybe you can do it in combination with a spermicide so you decrease your chances of getting pregnant. As long as the spermicide doesn't make you sensitive. You could also use a diaphragm in combination with charting your cycle and not having sex around ovulation when you are fertile. I don't think I would trust either method alone, but in combination it might be a good option.

Archived