Miserable... how can I make myself be happy?

For the past few months I have been really depressed. Anything that excites me or that makes me happy in my life seems to always be interfered by something so it doesnt turn out right. My 3 year anniversary with my boyfriend did not for example. The things that would possibly make me happen are completely out of reach and I cannot have them. My boyfriend always says to just not think about it but that doesnt help me...it is just a postponement on the situation. Eventually I feel the way I do today. I feel like crying for no reason. I guess thats because I dont know when or if anything good will be happening in my life. I feel like Im just here. It is difficult for me to be optimistic about my life because when I am bad things always happen. But I try not to be pessimistic either.

How can I look at the situation to make my self feel better?

What can I do to see my life differently?

I dont know the answers to these questions, otherwise I would do something about it.

Thanks

Well if you've been like this for such a long time then perhaps it's because you want to somehow and the fact that people try to help and it hasn't worked doesn't sound too good either.

However it is good that you want to fix this problem of yours, it will by no means an easy task based on my perception of you but the point is everything is possible. But lol, I'm a really positive person and I think here lies the problem, you sound way too negative. Just think about the positive things everytime something bad happens, take a step back and think about the good sides of it. Like everytime something bad happens just think "cool, glad that happened then instead of another time" or "yay that gives me a few more hours before something else bad happens" you know, things like that...

Smile, think positive and you'll be fine. Like I always say: Happiness isn't a summary of your situation, but a function of your outlook on life.

You can't be sad unless you let yourself to be. - Remember that!

Heb

• 3 weeks later...

try findin smthing dat makes u happt such as a hobby or read or sumthing, takin up boxin , draw do sumthing that puts ut mind and body to work itll help out alot, u can even try takin up God and learning about him helped me out alot and i feel much betta, just try it and trust me it'll help u in ur hard times, GOOD LUCK AND I WISH U THE BEST

I know how u feel. My life seems to have crumbled recently and im struggling. My ex leaving me was the real nail on the head. The fact that she left when i did nothing wrong made it worse (she left me becuase her ex decided he wanted her back after a 3 month break. They intended to get back together at some stage becuase they really "loved each other"). I know she still likes me (well at least she says she really cares about me and fancies me), but it really hurts.

If u have a bf that u really like, then u have a purpose in life right by u. doesn't he make u happy?

• 1 month later...

sounds like you have depression...don't beat yourself up for not being positive and happy. It could be chemical. Maybe you should see a therapist who could decide if Prozac or another anti-depressant might be right for you. There are also other natural ways of boosting seratonin (brain neurotransmitter that regulates good mood), such as exercise and proper diet. Alcohol is a depressant, so if you normally drink, cutting down might make you feel better. I would suggest getting talk therapy with a councilor and getting on a regular exercise regime. Try not to eat too many processed foods either.

If you start feeling any better then you might have more energy to start doing things that make you happy. I understand. When I'm depressed, just the thought of going out with friends or initiating projects makes me want to puke.

Take it easy. Just try a few different things, and if you still feel horrible, check out anti-depressants.