Air conditioning question, new puppy...

smiles21

Hi all, me and my GF will be recieving our new puppy in a week or so and I was curious as to what the room temperature should be so he doesn't get sick, etc.

It's hot out now in NY, 85 during the day and the house is usually kept cool. Is it OK if he is in the house while the AC is on?

He is an 8 week old Chihuahua puppy... (He's coming from Kansas)

image removed

Hi all, me and my GF will be recieving our new puppy in a week or so and I was curious as to what the room temperature should be so he doesn't get sick, etc.

It's hot out now in NY, 85 during the day and the house is usually kept cool. Is it OK if he is in the house while the AC is on?

He is an 8 week old Chihuahua puppy... (He's coming from Kansas)

image removed

Hes sooooooo cute! I love Chihuahua's!

When I used to dogsit my friends Chihuahua I would leave the AC on and in her room, I put a huge blanket for her to sleep on. She loved to crawl under the covers. I would suggest doing that....

Ratty looking thing.

However, that aside, because it's spent all this time next to it's mother, keep the room it has it's crate in at a medium temperature, but use a heatpack wrapped in a towel in the actual crate, to simulate the mother's body warmth.

Research before you get a puppy is good.

For chihuahuas it's always safer for it to be hotter than cold. Chihuahuas hate the cold and they're very sensitive to it, they're always looking for a sunny spot to sunbathe and keep warm in. But, of course, you don't want to keep them in a room that's too hot. I say keep the AC on but not too cold/strong, and keep lots of blankets for it, they love blankets to crawl in

Ratty looking thing.
Nice comment.

Chihuahuas love to burrow... our three Chihuahuas always dive under the covers the first chance they get. Chis tend to like more warm temperatures as they catch "chills" easily so I suspect your A/C temperature will be fine. He can burrow under a blanket if he gets cold. We live in the desert Southwest (100 degrees today!) and keep our A/C at 82 degrees during the day at work to cut down on energy costs. Our three Chi's just love it. In fact, one of our Chi's (Rufus) will go outside and lay in the sun.

The smaller Chi's also can get hypoglycemic so always make sure to keep your little guy fed (not too much though). If he doesn't eat for a few days due to sickness or whatnot (they can be stubborn, picky eaters) and starts getting lethargic or shaking, his blood sugar may be low. Rubbing some honey on his gums or giving him Pedialite will help keep his blood sugar elevated until you can get him eating again.

Archived