Finding something to do

aesop921

I'm an extremely lazy kid, I'm going into my freshman year at college and I don't really know how I'm going to occupy my time between school and work. I got addicted to WoW during my high school years and became an introvert, I quit my senior year and tried to become more social and started going to parties (at least the few that I would actually get invited to), and I started to play drums, but I always constantly feel bored and this need to feel accepted and wanted by people. During my senior year I was a huge pothead, and because school was so easy last year I pretty much just kicked back with friends and smoked weed every single day. I quit now, but I am having trouble finding something that makes me feel satisfied.

I get really depressed because I never get invited out anywhere, and I know I kind of deserve it because I have trouble meeting people, but I always end up just sitting at home trying to find some way to occupy my time. Video games aren't fun to me anymore, and whenever I play drums I just get frustrated and discouraged. I just don't know how I'll be able to make it through college at this rate, I want to be able to meet people, but I know I need to be happy with myself and find something that makes me happy in order to start being accepted by others. Does anybody have any suggestions about things I could start doing?

How 'bout reading? Hell, you can get into comic books and read the graphic novel works of Neil Gaiman and Alan Moore. Or just novels; I'm partial to Neil Gaiman's novels as well.

Or, what's your taste? Sci-fi? Action? Fantasy? Maybe you can rent and watch movies you've never seen? I still need to see the rest of Stanley Kubrick's movies and I'm ashamed to admit I still haven't seen a few Terry Gilliam movies.

If you really are introverted, then you'll meet other introverted people through such interests (and in looking for book/comic/genre clubs).

If nothing else, it's a way to occupy your time.

College is great if you're looking to meet people. In college, kids are forced out of their comfortable social circles from high school and into an environment where they don't know anybody. They tend to be more friendly and accepting of others because they're all looking for friends. If you're living in a dorm, keep your door open during the day! This is important, because people on your floor will come by and introduce themselves, and probably try to drag you to some frat party. Which brings me to my next point. If your college is anything like mine, there's lots of parties and lots of beer. Now, I don't condone alcohol abuse, but if you're a bit of an introvert and have trouble talking to new people, having a few drinks at a party might work to your advantage. If partying isn't your thing, there's tons of other activities you can get involved with to fill your time and give you a chance to meet people. There are sports, and clubs, and internships, and bands, and student organizations, and community service, all kinds of things. I'm sure you can find something that interests you!

I won't be living in a dorm, I'm trying to establish whether I'm going to be living in a house or an apt, and whether or not I'll have roommates. I like parties, but I tend to not like a majority of the people at them i.e. bros that are wearing a Tapout/Famous stars and straps shirt with a flat billed hat that are able to manipulate girls that attend these parties, which therefore kill my chances. But thats just the parties I've been too I guess.

I'm not going to lie, my primary goal at one of these parties is to hook up with a hot girl. I would change my goal to the socializing part, but my hormones will not allow that to happen.

I won't be living in a dorm, I'm trying to establish whether I'm going to be living in a house or an apt, and whether or not I'll have roommates. I like parties, but I tend to not like a majority of the people at them i.e. bros that are wearing a Tapout/Famous stars and straps shirt with a flat billed hat that are able to manipulate girls that attend these parties, which therefore kill my chances. But thats just the parties I've been too I guess.

I'm not going to lie, my primary goal at one of these parties is to hook up with a hot girl. I would change my goal to the socializing part, but my hormones will not allow that to happen.

I would definitely recommend roommates. When you're living by yourself, it can get boring and it'll be really easy to get sucked into yourself and become isolated. When you have roommates, at least you've got someone to talk to, and if you get along really well it's like having a built-in group of friends.

Don't worry too much about the manipulative bros at parties. I'm sure not everyone at the parties will be like that. There's always going to be "that guy," but by the time they get to college most girls have wised up to his BS.

Hooking up with a hot girl at a college party isn't as difficult as it seems, trust me. I've seen some unbelievable hookups happen when drinking is involved. Have fun but always remember to be respectful, and don't take advantage of anyone if they seem too drunk to know what they're doing. If you have sex with a girl and she is too wasted to give consent, you could be looking at a rape charge. Not that I think you'd do something like that, but it does happen and guys aren't always aware of the potential consequences.

Archived