The boyfriend or the best friend...

Shiba

my boyfriend and I both work long hours and usually only get to see each other once a week, but he's been abroad on holiday for two weeks. He was due to come back today but flight got cancelled, so he's coming back tomorrow now.

Problem is I'm supposed to be going to see my best friend tomorrow evening (she lives 2 hours away) until saturday.

Just found out she planned a small night out for us (with all her friends) tomorrow evening. But if I want to make it to see her, it means not seeing my boyfriend at all. Then I'm going on holiday next week, so by the time I get to see him again it will be a month gone by

what to do what to do ](*,)](*,)](*,)

Well, if you have pre arranged to see your friends I'd stick to those plans. Im a firm believer that friends are important because they are ususally the ones that are ALWAYS there for you at the end of the day. I imagine you'd be annoyed or I would if my friend ditched me for her boyfriend.

Its not your fault hes changed his plans...could you not fit him in another time/day

I think you're absolutely right about friends always being there for you

yeah its just become a bit of a complicated situation, as I can't get in touch with him to find out what time he's coming back at. Not exactly his fault if he's stranded in an airport somewhere lol.

I also promised him I'd make him some food and bring it around, so I do feel like I'm bailing on him too.

eeek, confusing!

Who do you think will understand the most?

Since his flight was canceled and you won't see him for a month perhaps your friend can reschedule for another evening? She might understand?

Relationships have ended over smaller things than this. So if you do cancel on him you had better hope he does understand.

If spending time with him was so important, I have to wonder why you planned a jam packed schedule and only allowed yourself one evening to see him. If my boyfriend was coming back from a two week trip on Tuesday and then the following week I was going away for a week, I certainly would not be planning a several day trip to see a friend...I would make sure I gave enough time for my boyfriend. This is a case of over-planning. You allotted your boyfriend just that one evening when he comes home..then you were going off to see your friend for a few days and then off on vacation. He went on his own vacation for two weeks. It almost sounds like you two live completely separate lives and just fit each other in to each other's busy schedules. You should not cancel on your friend since you already made the plans..it is not her fault that you over-booked and she shouldn't have to pay the price. This is an issue between you and your boyfriend. His flight was delayed...nobody's fault...but you made other plans and it would be wrong to break them. I think in the future the two of you need to re-think how you spend time together and not over-book yourselves. In the grand scheme of things a month is not a long time..if your relationship is strong it should withstand a month of not seeing each other as long as you communicate with each other through other means.

Archived