What do you people think of 'role models'?

Hey all,

Do many of you people out there have 'role models' or 'heroes'?

Who is your role model?

If any of you do i was wondering how they might influnce you in your daily lives, do you strive to be more like them or do you change your personality at all so that you act more like them? Do you work harder so that you can achieve what they have achieved?

What do you all think of people who have role models, do you think its good that they are influenced by another person's achievements?

Personally, i think that it is good for a person to have a role model because i think that it helps them to focus on their goals in life and helps them to be a better person.

What do you think?

abcd1234

good topic.....yeah i think it is good to have role models.Depends what type of the person or persons your role model is.We can always look up to people and learn from them...and its good to know and believe that if thease role models can achieve what they have done you have a chance of achieving something as well.The only negative thing about role models is when you discard your own unique peronality and try to act exactly like them and want to be that exact person....almost impossible as everyone has diffrent individual charecter traits about them.Its important not to disregard the individual you are.

hey abcd1234,

Yes i do have a few role models and i think it is absolutely essential that they remain my role models. Like you said, they are people that i can relate to while allowing me to test myself and up my standards to be more like them, and when i manage to mirror that something specific about them, then it boosts my self-esteem like i would be on drunk or something .

If my role model is a successful one, then as he becomes more and more successful, i feel more and more proud to be like him and that in turn pushes my confidence high.

People who have role models i have HUGE respect for. Because if you have a role model (and take it seriously) then like you said, it helps them to focus on their goals in life and helps them to be a better person. So they are trying to improve, and only desrve praise and encouragement.

My role models? Lol i have ones for different situations. Sports, or more sepcifically football/soccer wise and being a captain, i try to emulate Roy Keane or Patrick Viera (unfamiliar if your not in Europe ), but with that little more energy and technique. Looks wise i look at what Justin Timberlake does because apperently i look like him (i even have the annoying curly hair!) and his music, but im trying to be a bit more built then he is. There are a few more as well, but I don't have a complete role model to follow in life in general. Instead i hope that all the ones i have in the different departments will help me become the best person i can be and hopefully i myself will be a role model one day in the future.

I didnt say before but my role models would have to be Bruce Lee (check out the quote below, Lee Jun Fan is Bruce Lee's chinese name) and Muhammad Ali because of their devotion to what they each loved, devotion is a quality that i admire in a person and i respect them both for it.

Any more comments are most welcome!

Hey,

Yeah, I have a role model... Warren Buffet... The second richest person in the world... He started out as a young investor, and so have I... That is definetly someone who I want to become more like...

I think that role models are good, it can give you a good idea of where you want to go in life... It will also keep a person focused, and them help to achieve their goals...

i wouldnt say i have a ''star'' that is my role model buyt family members that are really important to me that make me feel more empowered by life. i think its them that are important to me, maybe because they know my ins and outs without me mentioning and them already knowing do you know what i mean?

but anyway i hope i havent avoided the question but more so answered it in my own. i guess they just change my perspective.

kel

hey all

i too dont have a 'star' role model. i dont that is what makes a role model, i think a role model is some imperfect person like everyone else who help another without the though of themselves or a person who does something great. my rolemodels would also have to be my family and friends.

~LJ =;

• 5 weeks later...

I have a one or two role models. I believe role models should be admired and respected for whatever qualities you see in them but don't ever emulate them to the point you lose yourself and become something else. That happens and it's not exactly good. I admire the elven queen Galadriel from LOTR and the Sil (dont laugh at me; I KNOW she is imaginary!) but despite making some pretty nasty mistakes early in her life, she bounces back and becomes this wise, beautiful person people both fear/respect and deeply love. My other role models would be anyone who is not afraid of others, what people think, they aren't self-conscious. That really inspires me and I'm trying to achieve that too but in my own way.

I know, this should be my last post. (enotalone is so addicting! I read this post a while ago actually, and the people that get me going through life, are the ones who have it less fortunate! I have one role model, who I always looked up to as a kid, Hellen Keller! She was both blind and death, but got her degree at forget the name of the college, starts with a R, and is in Boston. Well anyway, despite her handicap, she made it far in her life, and won recognition for her attempts to pull through, by proving that even a blind and death person can be just as good as anyone else. In fact, she won so much popularity, that she became a spokesperson, and gave speeches not only in the U.S., but to the queen of England. Anyway, I always remember her as a kid. Especially, after picking up a book about her. I guess it's because I have vision problems, and she inspired me! I love people who can go against social prejudices, and prove people wrong! I love people like her!

Also, another role model of mine of course, is the Dalai Lama! I really hope to meet this guy one day! Everytime he pays a trip to California, all of the tickets get sold out! Just my luck! But, I'm holding onto my lucky stars to meet him one day!

More importantly, I admire people who struggle to survive! I don't admire movie stars! I do, but, they're not living in the hard 'knock life'! Except a few, like Emminem (which I love), and Oprah Winfrey (My most Favorite! She was raped, but made a success of herself! Look at her! What a strong lady!). Anyway, I don't admire stars that much! I admire them for their roles in Hollywood, but the people that I always admired while growing up, are the people working the 'back-breaking' labors!

I remember as a kid, sitting in the backseat of my mom's car, the people that always caught my attention were the Latino men, who sold strawberries off of the side of the road! I remember, driving past farm fields, and watching these 'migrant workers,' work on back-breaking jobs, and it made me cry! It hurt me so much to see how much pain they grow through! All of the torment! Working in the hot sun! Frying in weather, while making only less than $3 bucks an hour! They are truly the ones who are my heroes! Even the Mexican Gardeners! There's a whole bunch of these migrant workers in Southern California! It hurts me to see that they've risked their lives, to cross the border, and find not even minimum-waged jobs! What's even sad is they can't even afford any form of 'health-care insurance'! That's what makes me mad!

So, yes, the 'migrant workers' are among the ones that I respect! Think about it! Their jobs aren't even stable! They have hungry mouthes to feed! Even if they are happy with what they do, I still respect them for the fact that their labor is such hard labor! Heck, I don't think that I can jump on a truck and get to work at 5:00 in the morning! They deserve much more respect than that!

All in all, my biggest "Role Model" is my MOTHER! Although I don't tell her enough, I think that she's been through a lot, and has become a strong and wonderful person, pulling through from of her struggles! I hope to be like her, someday, but perhaps even better! Meaning, I hope to instill other peoples qualities such as Oprah Winfrey and Hellen Keller, and develop a stronger conviction in life, to make msyelf a successful person, so that I can hellp people like the 'Migrant Workers,' or children, who are victims of war (agent orange, orphans). I hope to endure a ton of success for myself, so that I can help others, and make a difference in their lives! That's my goal in life. Besides, helping others, helps me!

If I can put a smile on someone's face, that's when I can smile back, and feel that I achieved a personal fulfillment! I get a lot of self-respect, when I see people smile! Thanks abc...for such an intriguing topic!

I have 3 big role models: my father, my supervisor in graduate school and Richard Feynman (high fives to anyone who knows this person ).

My father - well, I can't say enough about my father. I am still trying to figure him out. But all I can say is that he has always been there for me - and for all of us in the family - he is my rock if you will. Hey - sometimes he gets mad at me - but, he always loves me however much I screw up - DAD - YOU'RE AUSOME. And he is very intelligent (practically, emotionally, spiritually, and "in the head"). Wow - I can't believe how much I admire my father - I hope to be like him someday. Although I do wish he would show more of his softer "loving" side - but hey - that's my dad. He doesn't show alot of emotion directly, but shows it through his actions and the fact that he's just always there for me - and I guess that's what fathers are for I am lucky to have him. Oh man, I better phone him tomorrow.

My supervisor in graduate school is one of the top people in his field. He is world renowned, and very professional. He is all and all a nice guy too. He pushes me even when I don't want to be pushed, and he is the epitomy of excellence and responsibility in academia. No hand-wavy stuff - everything has to be proven, and no wishy-washy stuff. If you don't understand something - he can catch you - you cannot fool him. That's what I like about him. And he's human too!! He was divorced previously - I mean, I don't want to emulate this part of him, but just that he's not mister perfect - just shows that he's human like the rest of us. For all those in grad school - make sure you pick a good supervisor!! It may make or break your career!

And finally, Richard Feynman - a quirky, genius of a physicist who plays the mombo drums. He won the nobel prize in physics for his contributions to particle physics. Very funny, and practical guy - and yes, he is a genius. He's also one of those "realistic" geniuses, who only uses theory for its practical purposes (not an oxymoron btw - there is such a thing as theory for the practical person). When the first NASA space shuttle exploded in the late 80's (if I recall), he was the only one who could explain what happened so that EVERYONE COULD UNDERSTAND, i.e., people who didn't and did understand physics. He's just one of those people who makes very complicated theories accessible to everyone - and that is a mark of a great teacher.

Wow - great topic abcd1234 - 5678 - haha - I bet you get that alot - sorry

Hi yaaah!