He Won't Tell Me His Age?

First, I want to thank you if you read this because it's a little long.

Recently I met someone who goes to my college. It was very surreal because he said he knew my name before he even came to talk to me and as I found out later, we share the same birthdate. We had lunch together and went to see the lates art show in our school's gallery. It was perfect.

He asked me on a date for Friday night to go downtown and see more galleries. At one point in the date I had asked him how old he was to which he replied that he didn't want to tell me until he knew me better. He also said that it was because he wanted to add some mystery to keep me coming back. Well it worked. I was stumped.

We we're having the perfect date, great conversation, and wonderful atmosphere. What could go wrong?

We continued to see each other that following week at school. I was leaving the next week after on a ski trip and he said I would be "sorely missed". (Oh yeah, we kissed for the first time that day) We also made plans to see each other that Friday before I left.

He called me on Thursday before class and said he wouldn't be able to make it because he was visiting his parents. I said that was okay and we could see each other later. He then ended the conversation very nonchalantly with "I don't think this is going to work. Have a nice life."

I was thouroughly confused and furious. I asked him why and he told me that he believed I was "too good to be true," and ,"he didn't believe I was in college or 20 years old." I didn't know what to say because I have never had anybody doubt who I was before. He continued to say that ," If you knew what I have been through then you would understand. It's not you, it's me," to which I politely said bullshit and hung up the phone.

I thought about this on my vacation and came up with the answer that I shouldn't have to prove myself to him. But, I couldn't forget all of those perfect days. I decided I would talk to him on Monday in person. I called him to make a lunch date. Somewhere in the conversation I made a guess at his age and was right. He is 30.

Now I'm not sure if it's even worth it. I've never been this confused about somebody I've just met. What should I do?

Thank you for your replies. I talked to him about it and he told me that he frequently does this to avoid relationships. He tries to sabotage the relationship because he thinks it's "too good to be true." He also explained to me that he wants to get "all his ducks in a row" before he tries to start anything with anyone. I can kind of understand that because I'm in the same situation. I just recently broke up with my boyfriend of two years and want to get my life in order before starting anything. But, I was looking to date him and I don't know why he couldn't handle that. Anyways, he said that I was "one in a million" (blah, blah, blah) and that he might consider dating me after he's got it all figured out. He still wants to keep in touch with me over the phone.

Now I'm even more confused because I actually feel sorry for him and I wonder who in his past screwed with his mind enough for him to sabotage his relationships.

I think that you should avoid feeling sorry for this guy....sorry to be cynical, but from what you've told us, it sounds like he's playing the sympathy card for a reason. It strikes me as very odd that someone can't tell you their age. I would be looking for the reasons as to why he didn't tell you that. If he is cagey about something simple like that, then think what he could have lurking in his closet...from what you've said, it wouldn't surprise me if he was married or something. I'd get to know him a little better if I were you. But in all honesty, I agree with MandyLee4christ, from where I'm sitting, he don't sound too great..

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...