I don't want to live anymore.

ter93

Hi everyone. I should be really happy with my life. I am part of a well-off family, and have everything that I could ever want. I go to an excellent private school, which will give me one of the best education opportunities available in the state of Victoria. However, I am feeling horrible.

I recently turned 15, and am in year 11 at the moment. I feel that I am not doing well enough in school at the moment to please my parents, and obtain the ENTER score of over 99 that is required of me by my parents. I consistently get As in physics, methods, biology and chemistry, and sometimes in English. However, I am failing German and cannot do anything about it. I have talked to my parents about changing to a different subject which will play to my strengths (such as something in the field of maths and sciences), but all they have done is severely scalded me about failing German this year after consistently getting As last year. I feel as if I can no longer cope with the rigor of being in year 11 and stuck in a subject that I am failing! There is no way that I will ever please my parents, and all my achievements in methods and my sciences have been overlooked in favour of my poor German results. Please help me!

Aren't the entry scores really for Year 12? If that is the case and if German is not the strong point, stay away from that at all costs and choose your strongest subjects that would be needed for your preferred uni course.

As for your parents, who appear to keep up with the Joneses (and appear to be at the extreme end of it in Australia) instead of appearing genuinely happy for their son, worry about what you believe in is right...I'm sure killing yourself is NOT one of them. I am living in an industrial working class suburb in Adelaide and having to go through 12 YEARS of uni study - just to become a pharmacist (I graduated in Health Sciences (w/Honours) but was knocked back from 4 medical schools). But, I always believe that only you should have control over your own destiny and not your environment....or your parents. Get as much help as you can at school (and outside school) to make sure your Year 12 really flies!

You just listed many positives......A's in physics and math.......why not look at it as the glass is half full rather then empty.

Listen, life is hard for everyone at times..........don't take it so seriously........your failing one class! It is not a big deal in the scheme of life. Hopefully you will understand that before you do something stupid.

Thanks for the replies guys

Unfortunately, my parents will not let me change subjects at all, and I require at least 6 subjects for next year in order to obtain an acceptable VCE score. I wish that I did my VCE in the 1980s, back when you didn't need to do a language to get an adequate score. It's my only subject with scaling

you're parents are not helping you. they want you to be almost 'perfect' and no one is perfect. i think this is what makes you have anxiety or at least excessive worry. if your parents would simply say, 'look, it's okay if you're not good at this one subject, that's okay, we still love you the way you are and we believe in you,' you'd feel so much better and maybe you'd perform better too. but you're parents are constantly attacking you about that one negative grade. that's not good. talk to your parents. tell them that what they're doing is not good. my father is like that. i hated it. hence, i don't talk to him at all anymore. also, looking over your positives and igonoring your negatives is like sweeping them under the carpet and saying, 'those don't exist'. once again, making you feel more anxious over them. everyone has strengths and weaknesses. nobody is perfect. IF YOU TRY TO BE pERFECT YOU WILL FAIL

• 2 weeks later...

Archived