I have trouble exercising (difficulty with focussing)

g84

I was thinking about this last night, and I thought i would post this. I would really like to lose maybe ten pounds, but it has been a lot more difficult for me than it used to be. I try to eat fairly healthy, but I think it's exercise that i'm really lacking. A few years ago, I ended up losing about 20 pounds with just healthy eating and maybe 30 minutes of aerobic exercise everyday. I kind of just invented my own routine lol, and i followed that for a few months.

This time, it doesn't seem as simple. I have a lot of trouble concentrating when i begin to exercise. It's like, as soon as I start exercising, my mind begins to wander, and I start to worry about millions of other things - and i end up feeling discouraged and stopping. I know that for lots of people exercise is also beneficial to their mental health, so i don't know why this is how it affects me I love to listen to music a lot, but even that doesn't seem to help with anything...i don't really know what to do. Right now, i don't go to any gym or anything; i would prefer to just exercise at home at this time. Does anyone have any advice for this,

thanks for any help.

I have this problem too. I hate going to the gym and so forth, because it is so boring and I can't focus!

I play a lot of soccer, I get fit and I enjoy it - do you play any sports?

Maybe try Wii-fit or something too, anything just to make it seem less bland. Alternatively, just pop in a DVD and watch a show. I watch episodes of Battlestar Galactica, Family Guy etc and before long, 30-45 minutes has passed.

motivating yourself for exercises can be pretty difficult. If you have trouble focusing and you allow your mind to wonder off it is a form of self sabotaging because you don't believe that your efforts will get you anywhere.

A way to circumvent this is either to choose a sport/ activity that you are doing in a team, thus you have some outside pressure to keep you focused or to join a gym to take classes

you are wrong in your post. eating fairly healthy isn't the way to go. u have to eat healthy period.

at least you know your motivation isn't there and can correct it. what is it that you feel you aren't focused on? are you talking about sitting on a treadmill and just looking around bored?

you are wrong in your post. eating fairly healthy isn't the way to go. u have to eat healthy period.

at least you know your motivation isn't there and can correct it. what is it that you feel you aren't focused on? are you talking about sitting on a treadmill and just looking around bored?

I don't have a treadmill, I just do simple exercises that people can do at home, and I have small weights that i lift, but that's all i have to work with for now. What i meant is that i'm not focussed on my body and my movements - i just tend to worry about other problems that i'm dealing with while exercising and then i lose energy. For the healthy eating: i don't want to deprive myself of eating some sweets lol. I have tried, but it was not good for me in the end. I just want to do things in moderation.

There are hundreds of exercise DVDs around that you could buy and do at home which should also help with the focusing and variation of exercises.

Another way to lose weight is to simply start walking. One hour every day does wonders for your shape. It easy to do and you can think about anything you want in the meantime

Why don't you choose a different type of exercise, one that maybe doesn't require the kind of focus that aerobics does? I do two very different sports: I run (excellent to blow off steam, empty my head, cardio, endurance...) 2-3 times a week, and I do power yoga (flexibility, balance, muscle toning, relaxation) 2 times a week, if I make it. The latter requires focus, but also has a great impact on the mind. I think it's a perfect exercise for those who need to get in better touch with their bodies.

For me, I had to gain weight the past few months and yoga really made me better connected with my body. It could work the other way around too. Running is great for weight loss and condition (a bit too great in my case and I think the only thing I need to focus on is that I watch where I walk. I have a long route in the countryside, in the city you need to look better of course.

Hope this inspires! Remember that taking good care of your body with food and exercise comes with a big reward of feeling comfortable in your own skin.

Right now, i don't go to any gym or anything; i would prefer to just exercise at home at this time. Does anyone have any advice for this,

thanks for any help.

I recommend you go to a gym. It's much easier to get in the right frame of mind when your there, compared to being home with so many distractions and other things you know you could be doing.

I have this problem too. I hate going to the gym and so forth, because it is so boring and I can't focus!

I play a lot of soccer, I get fit and I enjoy it - do you play any sports?

Maybe try Wii-fit or something too, anything just to make it seem less bland. Alternatively, just pop in a DVD and watch a show. I watch episodes of Battlestar Galactica, Family Guy etc and before long, 30-45 minutes has passed.

I don't play any sports I really like dancing though, but even that doesn't seem to help lately. I think the dvd idea might help a bit though, maybe i will try, thanku.

I don't have a treadmill, I just do simple exercises that people can do at home, and I have small weights that i lift, but that's all i have to work with for now. What i meant is that i'm not focussed on my body and my movements - i just tend to worry about other problems that i'm dealing with while exercising and then i lose energy. For the healthy eating: i don't want to deprive myself of eating some sweets lol. I have tried, but it was not good for me in the end. I just want to do things in moderation.

well, don't expect too see many results then.

i also agree with the other poster about the gym. much more motivation when you go.

what did you mean, because of the fact that i'm not always eating healthy?

the lifestyle you said you have right now. not really motivated and eating sweets cause you gotta have them. that's all i was saying, don't expect to see much results. when you say 'in moderation' that just tells me that you will drag it on for a long time. do you procrastinate a lot?

For some people it is extremely difficult to cut out sweets altogether from their diet. If you want to indulge from time to time, why not correlate it with how much exercise you have accomplished in a week? Something along the lines: exercised 5 times a week = 1 piece of chocolate.

Instead of eating sweets at random intervals turn them into a small treat to reward you for sticking with your exercise regime

For some people it is extremely difficult to cut out sweets altogether from their diet. If you want to indulge from time to time, why not correlate it with how much exercise you have accomplished in a week? Something along the lines: exercised 5 times a week = 1 piece of chocolate.

Instead of eating sweets at random intervals turn them into a small treat to reward you for sticking with your exercise regime

i used to eat like that. i would eat the best i could all week, saturday - thursday, then friday i could eat whatever i wanted. i do cardio almost everyday, so i'm still ahead of the badness.

i used to eat like that. i would eat the best i could all week, saturday - thursday, then friday i could eat whatever i wanted.

I didn't mean to say, you can eat whatever you want without any portion size limitation. Would be really too bad for all that hard work, but I don't think there is anything wrong with allowing yourself a little sweet just for the taste.

However I can see that this can also cause some problems if you have trouble stopping after one sweet and are tempted to go through the whole box.

OP, if you are not into radically changing your diet, you just have to increase your physical activity level a lot more and you have to be much more patient till you will see results

the lifestyle you said you have right now. not really motivated and eating sweets cause you gotta have them. that's all i was saying, don't expect to see much results. when you say 'in moderation' that just tells me that you will drag it on for a long time. do you procrastinate a lot?

I do procrastinate a lot and i deal with depression sometimes.

i don't feel motivated

Have you heard of the fitness center Curves? I joined with my mom a few years back and it was really fun and easy. I actually lost too much weight while going so I stopped, but it's a great program for people who have short attention spans (each exercise is only 2 minutes before rotating).

Archived