Fitness and Diet Questions Answered

Do you notice how more and more guys are taking illegal supplements like HGH or some form of steroids in the gym?

I cannot believe some of the builds I seen on the guys at my gym or walking around in public. Usually the builds I admire in the gym belong to guys who don't do cardio, but have great tone and muscularity.

I don't really notice too many guys at my gym, but I work at a YMCA so it's men and women teens of all ages and from all walks of life, not just serious bodybuilders. Here's a link which helps one supposedly spot steroid use: link removed

I am all natural. I've never even seen steroids and do not wish to. I put on about a pound a week from mid-August to the end of the year last year, so I sometimes wonder if people who don't know me suspect me of juicing (everyone who knows me knows I'm far too much of a goody goody, I mean I've never even tasted alcohol for heaven's sake.) The dead giveaway that I'm not using is that even though I gained mass, I also put on some fat because I was eating so much (I went from less than 10% body fat to about 14% body fat). The bad thing is I'm genetically pre-disposed to packing a little fat on my chest, which again may make people suspicious. I'm currently cutting back a little to slim down for the summer, and I've noticed the fat coming off my chest first. (Hooray!) I also hit a huge wall gaining weight, and I've been pretty much the same weight since December (before I started cutting back a little, now I've lost a couple pounds.) My still not-so-visible six pack and the fact that I'm not a ripped 235 (I'm only 210) are dead-giveaways that I'm all-natural.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it true your muscles have memory? Bc I havent worked out in a month and Im getting flabby.

Another question: I am gaining weight again and I think its bc Im drinking more. Is there a certain drink that doesnt have as many carbs/calories than other drinks?

Do you notice how more and more guys are taking illegal supplements like HGH or some form of steroids in the gym?

I cannot believe some of the builds I seen on the guys at my gym or walking around in public. Usually the builds I admire in the gym belong to guys who don't do cardio, but have great tone and muscularity.

Seems to me that steroid use is fairly common these days. There are guys in my gym that I suspect are juicing. Too much back and neck acne doesn't seem natural. Lots of kids get into it from high school and college athletics.

Is it true your muscles have memory? Bc I havent worked out in a month and Im getting flabby.

To an extent yes. Depending on how long you had been working out before, your soreness maybe not last as long (you will still be sore at first though after getting back) You may also have to do slightly less weight on your exercises to start out with if you were strength training.

Another question: I am gaining weight again and I think its bc Im drinking more. Is there a certain drink that doesnt have as many carbs/calories than other drinks?

I assume you mean alcohol. As I discussed earlier in the thread, light beers have less calories and carbs. The catch is that's it's all in how much you consume. You can't go out and have 4 beers all the time and not think you're going to gain weight, regardless of whether or not they're light beers.

To an extent yes. Depending on how long you had been working out before, your soreness maybe not last as long (you will still be sore at first though after getting back) You may also have to do slightly less weight on your exercises to start out with if you were strength training.

I assume you mean alcohol. As I discussed earlier in the thread, light beers have less calories and carbs. The catch is that's it's all in how much you consume. You can't go out and have 4 beers all the time and not think you're going to gain weight, regardless of whether or not they're light beers.

I worked out previously, 3-4 times a week. Mostly cardio and yoga/pilates. A couple months ago I started weight training. Altho, I dont like weight training cause I gain weight. I know...its muscle but I just dont want to get all big and gross. Like the scary women that work out too much.

Anyway, I guess I need to stop drinking all together. Im not the type that can go out and have one beer. I like vodka and rum. Usually I have 3-5 when I go out.

For trying to get shredded, what style of workout do you prefer. I train 5 days a week and do a ton of high intensity interval training the past couple weeks and it seems to be doing alright. But it destroys my body (good thing) and I dont have to do cardio. Would you prefer supersets, failure sets, or interval training over say sets of 15 - 20 and cardio? I guess what I am trying to say is whats a great routine for getting much more lean.

My arms and legs are huge (not to be arrogant) and I am a small guy. I am only 5'8" and weigh about 170ish. I still have a 30 waist and about 12 % body fat. I feel like my legs and arms are too big for my height so I am trying to get more lean, maybe drop 5 to 10 pounds.

Thanks

For trying to get shredded, what style of workout do you prefer. I train 5 days a week and do a ton of high intensity interval training the past couple weeks and it seems to be doing alright. But it destroys my body (good thing) and I dont have to do cardio. Would you prefer supersets, failure sets, or interval training over say sets of 15 - 20 and cardio? I guess what I am trying to say is whats a great routine for getting much more lean.

My arms and legs are huge (not to be arrogant) and I am a small guy. I am only 5'8" and weigh about 170ish. I still have a 30 waist and about 12 % body fat. I feel like my legs and arms are too big for my height so I am trying to get more lean, maybe drop 5 to 10 pounds.

Thanks

Altho, I dont like weight training cause I gain weight. I know...its muscle but I just dont want to get all big and gross. Like the scary women that work out too much.

As a woman, unless you are taking steroids or testosterone, you won't get "big and gross". All those highly muscular women who look like men are taking steroids, exogenous testosterone, or HGH, or they just naturally have unusually high levels of testosterone. Plus, in their pics, female bodybuilders or figure athletes are often using diuretics to flush the water out of their skin, so they look less soft - so even those freaks don't look quite so freaky out of competition.

i have read conflicting opinions on when to do cardio for maximum benefit. i have read things where they suggest not to do cardio before or after lifting, because according to those experts, it sort of kills the work you just put in while lifting. and i have also read opinions where it is recommended to do cardio before lifting and some suggest doing it after lifting.

i normally try to do it 3 times a week, but on a completely different time than when i lift. hours apart.

what do you think?

Do it after lifting, doing cardio before depletes your energy stores which in turn means you can't lift as much, hence not have such a great lifting session. You can do both at the same time, depends on how long you train for. I would aim to keep lifting And cardio to 1:30 minutes max. Just my $.02.

As a woman, unless you are taking steroids or testosterone, you won't get "big and gross". All those highly muscular women who look like men are taking steroids, exogenous testosterone, or HGH, or they just naturally have unusually high levels of testosterone. Plus, in their pics, female bodybuilders or figure athletes are often using diuretics to flush the water out of their skin, so they look less soft - so even those freaks don't look quite so freaky out of competition.

I second this. You'll stay lean. Trust me. All best looking women at my gym weight train.

Thanks

I prefer doing a bit of interval training to cut. Do moderate weights on the higher- rep sets. I'm actually in my fourth final week of interval training before I cool off and do some body weight exercises and plyometrics training for the following four weeks. I'm trying to cut back a little for summer (not that I'm gonna be walking around with my shirt off a bunch, but still.) Just watch your diet and try to cut out fatty snacks and still get your protein and carbs during meals. That's always worked for me personally. I may never have ultra-cool washboard abs, but I've leaned down some without losing much (if any) weight on the scale.

Do it after lifting, doing cardio before depletes your energy stores which in turn means you can't lift as much, hence not have such a great lifting session. You can do both at the same time, depends on how long you train for. I would aim to keep lifting And cardio to 1:30 minutes max. Just my $.02.

Agreed if you have to do both at the same time.

I agree about the best looking women at the gym hitting the weights. So, so true.

But my gym membership expired and, since it's summer, I'd rather not renew. I jog in the park by my house and it's got lots of steep hills. I also regularily do pilates. Is that going to be enough on its own or should I also be doing some kind of weights? Should I pick up one of those 5 lb balls to work out with at home?

I agree about the best looking women at the gym hitting the weights. So, so true.

But my gym membership expired and, since it's summer, I'd rather not renew. I jog in the park by my house and it's got lots of steep hills. I also regularily do pilates. Is that going to be enough on its own or should I also be doing some kind of weights? Should I pick up one of those 5 lb balls to work out with at home?

so you are saying those women look good because they DO weight train right? i agree with that.

Of course. Hey, by the way Ghost, we had some discussion a few months ago about how a woman can increase the size of her butt. I'm very happy to report to you that I worked on some of the tips given by you and others, and my butt has never been rounder. Lol... It's unbelievable how much it's changed over the course of a few months. I've been doing the tread mill on max incline, alternated with running.

so you are saying those women look good because they DO weight train right? i agree with that.

Of course. Hey, by the way Ghost, we had some discussion a few months ago about how a woman can increase the size of her butt. I'm very happy to report to you that I worked on some of the tips given by you and others, and my butt has never been rounder. Lol... It's unbelievable how much it's changed over the course of a few months. I've been doing the tread mill on max incline, alternated with running.

Do deadlifts (with proper form). Your husband will owe me a beer, at the very least.

Archived