Curious, what's your highest level of education?

jengh

What is your level of education?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. What is your level of education?

• High School
    • In college
    • Bachelor's
    • Master's
    • Doctorate

This is totally out of curiosity. Votes will be anonymous.

I'm just wondering how many of you have diplomas, bachelor's, master's, PhDs...

If you don't mind telling, what is your degree in? Are you currently working in that field?

I'm currently in college, I just put in the paperwork to major in art history.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt I'll get a doctorate in anything, but I'm planning on getting a master's. Ideally in art history, but we'll see how the job market looks. I might double up on social work courses for my undergrad and get an MSW.

It seems like you can't really get all that far career-wise unless you have at least a master's (I know there are exceptions, but as a whole)

I doubt I'll get a doctorate in anything, but I'm planning on getting a master's. Ideally in art history, but we'll see how the job market looks. I might double up on social work courses for my undergrad and get an MSW.

It seems like you can't really get all that far career-wise unless you have at least a master's (I know there are exceptions, but as a whole)

That's true for every major now a days.

Back in the good old days, people went to college because they actually wanted to better themselves and learn. Now, it's the means to get a job.

Really, it's just a pain in my butt and a great way to put me in debt. Nothing I actually learn here will be applied to my occupation. I'm just getting a piece of paper. And I'm bitter about it.

Btw, art history. I was told by a good friend that art history was his most enjoyable class at college. It's a huge committment though...I'll probably go for theater to cover my fine arts requirment.

That's true for every major now a days.

Back in the good old days, people went to college because they actually wanted to better themselves and learn. Now, it's the means to get a job.

Really, it's just a pain in my butt and a great way to put me in debt. Nothing I actually learn here will be applied to my occupation. I'm just getting a piece of paper. And I'm bitter about it.

Btw, art history. I was told by a good friend that art history was his most enjoyable class at college. It's a huge committment though...I'll probably go for theater to cover my fine arts requirment.

I mean, seriously! Ack! GVSU's gen-eds are ridiculous. You have to have a theme in order to graduate (basically 3 random classes that don't pertain to your major), plus 9 million other classes that I don't care one bit about.

If you only have to take one fine arts requirement, Art History I (Usually, colleges offer surveys of art history) or Art History II are fairly easy. If you know anything at all about artists, it's a fantastic class. A lot of memorization, but if you really understand the material it's so easy.

A bit off-topic, but it always bugs me when I see someone write that the went to "collage". If you say you went to college, at the very least you should be able to spell the word & not turn it into a collection of photos!

On the other hand, when updating my resume once I graduated I had to look up the correct spelling of "Bachelor's" on multiple occassions. I can never remember if there is one "L" or two, nor can I remember if there is supposed to be an apostrophe or not. In fact I had to look up at the poll to make sure I got it right.

I don't know, it just came to mind.

A bit off-topic, but it always bugs me when I see someone write that the went to "collage". If you say you went to college, at the very least you should be able to spell the word & not turn it into a collection of photos!

On the other hand, when updating my resume once I graduated I had to look up the correct spelling of "Bachelor's" on multiple occassions. I can never remember if there is one "L" or two, nor can I remember if there is supposed to be an apostrophe or not. In fact I had to look up at the poll to make sure I got it right.

hahahah, at first, I thought I zoned out while typing and typed collage. I would've felt like a tool.

Okay and yeah... Is there an apostrophe? I've always wondered that... both for bachelor and master...

I mean, seriously! Ack! GVSU's gen-eds are ridiculous. You have to have a theme in order to graduate (basically 3 random classes that don't pertain to your major), plus 9 million other classes that I don't care one bit about.

If you only have to take one fine arts requirement, Art History I (Usually, colleges offer surveys of art history) or Art History II are fairly easy. If you know anything at all about artists, it's a fantastic class. A lot of memorization, but if you really understand the material it's so easy.

I just remember this friend having 3 hour long tests in art history. And not just the finals.....every test was that long.

I would love to take a drawing class but they usually require you to buy a lot of supplies. One of my lab partners is always lugging around her big, oversized sketchpad.

Plus, I think I could be a good actress. I was only ever in one play but I was the lead. That was only eight grade though. haha.

I find that classes I pick randomly are often my most enjoyable. Such as archaeology and biomechanics.

hahahah, at first, I thought I zoned out while typing and typed collage. I would've felt like a tool.

Okay and yeah... Is there an apostrophe? I've always wondered that... both for bachelor and master...

Haha, no, it wasn't aimed at you! More so my stepsister is what made me think of it. She took some online classes & put in her online profiles that she "went to collage". It kills me!

I'm pretty sure there's an apostrophe. It seems like everyone else puts one in.

I just remember this friend having 3 hour long tests in art history. And not just the finals.....every test was that long.

I would love to take a drawing class but they usually require you to buy a lot of supplies. One of my lab partners is always lugging around her big, oversized sketchpad.

Plus, I think I could be a good actress. I was only ever in one play but I was the lead. That was only eight grade though. haha.

I find that classes I pick randomly are often my most enjoyable. Such as archaeology and biomechanics.

Ohh yeah--fine arts classes are SO expensive. I think I spent around $500 for my last studio class. It was insane.

In the AH courses I've taken, the exams were about an hour long. The prof would show slides of works and you'd have to ID them...then there were a couple of essays. Nothing too major.

Theater would be great though--I love watching, but hate partaking in it (although, in high school I was in musicals, go figure).

Dictionary dot com is one of my bookmarks. Spelling was never a strong point for me. And my web browser doesn't have spell check...at least not automatically.

Haha, no, it wasn't aimed at you! More so my stepsister is what made me think of it. She took some online classes & put in her online profiles that she "went to collage". It kills me!

I'm pretty sure there's an apostrophe. It seems like everyone else puts one in.

It's pretty funny when people intentionally do that though.

I have a BA in psychology with a minor in criminal justice.

Yeah, the jobs are not exactly throwing themselves at me.

That's close to what I have. A BS in psych. But the economy hasn't exactly helped, either. With businesses cutting back and increased competition for the few jobs remaining, it's tough to find anything. Took me 4 months to find a job.

I have a BA in psychology with a minor in criminal justice.

Yeah, the jobs are not exactly throwing themselves at me.

Really? You're having a hard time finding a job in that field? Do you want to work in a court house or..?

That's close to what I have. A BS in psych. But the economy hasn't exactly helped, either. With businesses cutting back and increased competition for the few jobs remaining, it's tough to find anything. Took me 4 months to find a job.

But I just graduated last year...ugghhh

It doesn't really matter about your major when trying to get into law school. He just needs to do well in the LSAT and have a high GPA.

Isn't the LSAT logic based?

Such as, unlike the MCAT, which tests you on your knowledge of biology, chemistry and physics, it tests your ability to think and deduce logically?

One of my housemates took it and scored really high too. I think he told me something about it having nothing to do with law and everything to do about problem solving.

But I just graduated last year...ugghhh

I graduated in December 07. I was doing some other stuff for a while, started looking for a job in September 08 & finally got one in January... so I've been there 3 months. Basically had to give up being picky & just applied for everything I was qualified for, got some help making my resume more readable & applied for jobs directly on the businesses' websites, rather than on a job search website where everyone else is applying.

And what I do now is completely unrelated to my degree. People ask "so what did you go to school for to do this?" & I say "oh, nothing related to this; it's on the job training" as I stick a needle in their arm.

Archived