Sprint training..how to?

Can anyone help me with the basics of sprint training please? I feel like my fitness has progressed fairly well and hence I would like to try sprint training.Why you ask!!Well it is my goal to increase my aerobic capacity higher and I want to get shredded of fat.

If anyone can advise I would really appreciate it

Do you run on a track?

If you do, then you can sprint on the straight parts and jog on the curves. Do this for as many laps as you feel comfortable with.

Also you can look into doing fartlek workouts. (I know is has a funny name) I laughed too.

link removed

Warmup: easy running for 5 to 10 minutes.

Steady, hard speed for 1.5–2 km; like a long repetition.

Recovery: rapid walking for about 5 minutes.

Start of speed work: easy running interspersed with sprints of about 50–60 m, repeated until a little tired.

Easy running with three or four "quick steps" now and then (simulating suddenly speeding up to avoid being overtaken by another runner).

Full speed uphill for 175–200 m.

Fast pace for 1 minute.

The whole routine is then repeated until the total time prescribed on the training schedule has elapsed.

I had an pretty successful cross country and track "career" in HS. Though I did a lot of long distance, my sprinting ability allowed me to run the 200 and 400 in track.

What I learned, and my advice to you, is: If you want to burn fat, running long distances at an even, steady pace is the way to go. Running slowly/not all out will burn more fat. Running sprints, at a fairly fast pace, burns glucose. Basically you're going to lose a lot more fat if you run long distances at slower paces vs. running sprints.

Its been a few years for me since I've run seriously, but if you're running on a track and want to concentrate on sprinting, a workout would fit you well. If your body isn't use to it, you don't want to kill yourself at first, but 2x100, 2x200, 2x300, and 1x400 would suit you well (cut reps out accordingly). All of them 85%-all out, since you're running a fairly short distance. The last one definitely make all out. The 400 sprint at the end will help you immensely. I think for now, however, you should concentrate on more a couple of 100's and 200's, and maybe 300 sprint at the end, since you want to get your fast twitch muscles going and use to it at first. Sorry this is a bit serious, its all I know, lol. Hope that gives you a blueprint of at least what you want to shoot for.

Do you run on a track?

If you do, then you can sprint on the straight parts and jog on the curves. Do this for as many laps as you feel comfortable with.

Also you can look into doing fartlek workouts. (I know is has a funny name) I laughed too.

link removed

Warmup: easy running for 5 to 10 minutes.

Steady, hard speed for 1.5–2 km; like a long repetition.

Recovery: rapid walking for about 5 minutes.

Start of speed work: easy running interspersed with sprints of about 50–60 m, repeated until a little tired.

Easy running with three or four "quick steps" now and then (simulating suddenly speeding up to avoid being overtaken by another runner).

Full speed uphill for 175–200 m.

Fast pace for 1 minute.

The whole routine is then repeated until the total time prescribed on the training schedule has elapsed.

Fartlek ..lol.. I thought a few eggs later we all played that sport!!

Hmm so this is much the same as high intensity interval training ?Right?

I thought it would be different?

Awesome info.Yes I want to get a bit bigger and stronger. I want to get ripped and stripped to shreds for the heck of it.

I have been doing weights and killer ab training since November.My original core goals were to get fit enough to avoid more heart problems ..Got the good news yesterday from my cardiologist that despite having had a heart attack and 3 blockages 3 years ago that I beat half the gym trainers which he sees on the stress test. As far as I am concerned I want to take my fitness to the next level. I think this training will help. i never expected to see the rapid progress in the past few months and so I know that achieving my new goals are becoming a reality. I am losing safely 1.6 inches per month off my waist. t will take around 8 months until I possibly reach 10 to 8 percent body fat. My primary concern though is energy and health. If looking like that sacrifices my well being I wont push my luck.. My body is changng drastically...Maybe I will reach my goal soon enough?

Thank you..I hope you get motivated..I want to live to grow my kids up and enjoy this amazing life we live.To do this we need to be strong mentally and physically. In am 40 yo now.Too old to be young ..too young to old lol... I have defied the odds ...thanking my lucky stars and want my body to reflect what is inside my mind and heart..a healthy attitude and a strong mind.(I hope) lol

For my age I dont look too old and definitely dont give up too easily ..hehe

Panda man..if it kills me it doesnt worry me that much.. I have changed my life around and I want to take this up quite a few notches.

Without this level of fitness and beyond what good is a man like me to his family. I want to look after them...I want to be strong...I want to be a bigger champion.Without fitness and health ..life sux.

Panda man..if it kills me it doesnt worry me that much.. I have changed my life around and I want to take this up quite a few notches.

Without this level of fitness and beyond what good is a man like me to his family. I want to look after them...I want to be strong...I want to be a bigger champion.Without fitness and health ..life sux.

I totally understand the feeling. Stick with it man. I think its great you're 40 and this motivated to do things that even people younger than you don't do. You really seem like you're taking laziness and throwing it out the door. Kudos man.

I totally understand the feeling. Stick with it man. I think its great you're 40 and this motivated to do things that even people younger than you don't do. You really seem like you're taking laziness and throwing it out the door. Kudos man.

Thanks champ.. Laziness is where bad things can manifest..at 40 I know my testosterone will decline somewhat so sex drive,muscle tone and energy may go down as well. I want to improve what I have ..be strong..keep my sexual appetite..be able to look after the family and enjoy life. I have also found that I am thinking clearer..

I may sound silly but what is kudos?

I just read an article on yahoo regarding interval training. If using a cardio machine (eliptical or treadmill), it went something like this:

4 minute warmup on level 3

Sprint 30 seconds level 7

Recover 90 seconds level 4

Sprint 30 seconds level 8

Sprint 30 seconds level 9

Sprint 30 seconds level 8

Sprint 30 seconds level 9

Cool down 3 minutes 30 seconds level 3

Supposedly a study was done indicating that this trainig method was muchy better than jogging/sprinting alone. You burn more calories this way and build up endurance much faster.

I wrote it all down and I am going to try it next time I am at the gym.

Good luck TB.

I am by nature a sprinter and this is what worked for me:

100 meters full out, 100 meters jog, 100 meters full out, 100 meters jog

400 meters walk working up to jog

I continued to do this until I could go 200 meters full out, 200 meters jog for 800 meters.

I also found running up stairs to be fun and interesting, starting with 5 flights four times a day and working up to 7 flights four times a day. I started out walking up, then tapping up one stair at a time, then finally to all out running up two stairs at a time. Warning, proper footware is required for safety.

Hey top bloke, hows it going? You hit the track yet?

Pandaman..I have avoided runing for a few days currently as we are in the grip of record breaking heat..tomorrow a cool change predicted and I will be right back into it.Tonight killer weight session...lol

I am by nature a sprinter and this is what worked for me:

100 meters full out, 100 meters jog, 100 meters full out, 100 meters jog

400 meters walk working up to jog

I continued to do this until I could go 200 meters full out, 200 meters jog for 800 meters.

I also found running up stairs to be fun and interesting, starting with 5 flights four times a day and working up to 7 flights four times a day. I started out walking up, then tapping up one stair at a time, then finally to all out running up two stairs at a time. Warning, proper footware is required for safety.

You guys are getting me motivated ,more and more. This is interesting..sounds good to break up the routine just a little.

Quote:

Originally Posted by top bloke

Awesome info.Yes I want to get a bit bigger and stronger. I want to get ripped and stripped to shreds for the heck of it.

I have been doing weights and killer ab training since November.My original core goals were to get fit enough to avoid more heart problems ..Got the good news yesterday from my cardiologist that despite having had a heart attack and 3 blockages 3 years ago that I beat half the gym trainers which he sees on the stress test. As far as I am concerned I want to take my fitness to the next level. I think this training will help. i never expected to see the rapid progress in the past few months and so I know that achieving my new goals are becoming a reality. I am losing safely 1.6 inches per month off my waist. t will take around 8 months until I possibly reach 10 to 8 percent body fat. My primary concern though is energy and health. If looking like that sacrifices my well being I wont push my luck.. My body is changng drastically...Maybe I will reach my goal soon enough?

Top Bloke

Top Bloke

Is the guy singing in the pic you??? Hope I don't sound too dumb if its a famous singer cuz I don't recognize him...Anyway if it is you, You look damn good to me....

He is a famous greek singer. I want to protect my privacy so I dont post my piccy. I look similar to that guy though..so I suppose..thanks.

I am sititng accross from the benchpress the lat pull down bar...I have just had a coffee and a vitamin b ...I feel like a man possessed..nothing else matters right now...just smashing my body close to oblivion...what does it matter? All there is a feeling of an aggressive beast that lurks within,,it wants a hard workout.it wants to push this life to the limits...It wants not only to live but be strong..be strong stronger..It is 702 pm here...Im gonna go hard..I feel extreme ..im gonna jump in for the the next 40 minutes...

Archived