Baby's father won't quit?

spring09mom

I am having my first child with an ex-boyfriend in May of this year. We broke up over drug issues (he won't quit smoking marijuana) about a month before I found out I was pregnant. Since telling him, he has been supportive for the most part, but will not budge when it comes to his drug habit.

When he is high, he is either extremely angry or he is so forgetful he doesn't even know his name. However, he wants partial custody of our daughter. He says he won't smoke while the baby is around, but I still don't feel comfortable with this type of scenario. He has taken to lying about the fact that he does drugs, but it is apparent (and he has admitted that he has no plans of quitting).

Legally, what are my options in this scenario? I don't want him around our child without my supervision, as it makes me uncomfortable. But I'm new to this whole custody thing and I'm afraid I won't have too much of a choice.

Also, we're both 22 years old. I am a college graduate with a steady job; he is about 1/4 of the way through school and frequently changes jobs.

If he is such a severe drug user that he gets angry or completely forgets if custody goes through court make note of everything and be sure to bring every little thing up, unless he straightens up a judge will not rule him custody. He may receive supervised visitations or something like that but not joint custody.

Forsaken Love: not a chance. He's already proven to me that the drugs come first. At this point I want my daughter to know her father, but I'd never forgive myself if anything happened to her. I just can't, in good conscience, let him manipulate me into compromising her safety.

haha and yes, I'm not a male. I'm also not good at using computers

Forsaken Love: not a chance. He's already proven to me that the drugs come first. At this point I want my daughter to know her father, but I'd never forgive myself if anything happened to her. I just can't, in good conscience, let him manipulate me into compromising her safety.

haha and yes, I'm not a male. I'm also not good at using computers

Good for you.

Archived