Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Book Talk

Any new good books out there you'd recommend?

Mariahee

• 2 weeks later...
Duma Key is a thriller/horror book..it's long but really interesting!

it's the 1st and only Stephen King book I have read.

oh i see. besides thriller, what kind of books do you read? like romance? how do you find romantic authors like jackie collins, Danielle Steel and Barbara Taylor Bradford? have you read some of their books? thank you.

oh i see. besides thriller, what kind of books do you read? like romance? how do you find romantic authors like jackie collins, Danielle Steel and Barbara Taylor Bradford? have you read some of their books? thank you.

I don't really read romance books. I read JD Robb books which combine romance with mystery, also Tami Hoag is one of my favourite authors. Karen Slaughter writes a good book. I like Steve Barry he does books in line with DaVinci Code type stuff...

I don't really read romance books. I read JD Robb books which combine romance with mystery, also Tami Hoag is one of my favourite authors. Karen Slaughter writes a good book. I like Steve Barry he does books in line with DaVinci Code type stuff...

oh i understand. i also love reading books of mystery. i remember when i was in junior high school i read a mystery book called" death island" i really could't put it down until i finished it. any authors you know who write great mystery books?

I've read Barbara Taylor Bradford's series about the British family who owns the department store chain (the Hartes). I thought it was quite good, and I don't generally like the romance type stuff.

Read a very strange book recently called Top Dog, I forget the author. It was the most bizarre sci-fi, fantasy novel I think I've recently seen. About a guy who somehow gets transformed into a dog and brought to an alternate reality where a battle between good and evil is occurring. A lot of killing, but just something I couldn't put down because it was simply so unusual that I could not figure out what the heck the author was going to do next.

Fires of Eden by Dan Simmons is kind of horror -comedy - historical fiction that takes place in Hawaii. I thought it was a hoot, actually, and rather clever at times.

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke is an excellent book. I hear it being compared to Harry Potter a lot, and I am tempted to do that too, but that really doesn't do it justice. It is a book about magicians and magic. It's a fantasy novel. The author gave this fantasy an extensive "history", and it took her a reported 10 years to write this book, which shoes in the excellent in quality writing.

Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali is an excellent non-fiction book. If you like Political and Social Issues, this is a fantastic read. Eye opening.

• 2 weeks later...
Pillars of the Earth--Ken Follett. Best book I've ever read. Came out in the 80s and just recently got on Oprah's book list, but luckily I discovered it before it got popular. Definitely pick it up.

Haha i was just about to say i saw oprah talking about it! And then i read the end of your post..

I looved ''cell'' by stephen king. it's really long though.

Archived