Can we be more than just friends?

Hi Cookies,

I have read your post twice over just to make sure that I did not miss out anything.

This guy is not being entirely open with you at this moment. He has his reasons, whatever they may be. It is risky for you now to commit yourself to someone so ambiguous. Things will get messier if he's attached or married. It is near impossible to read all these signs when you are chatting online.

So what should you do? Take everything he says with a pinch of salt. Try and focus on the people you meet in 'real life' instead. Another thing is, even if you were to ask him upfront about his life, he might still choose to lie about it (am not saying that he definitely will though).

It is easier for people to lie on the net than when they are talking to you face to face. Keep a cool head and don't give away too much!

One of the incredible things about the Internet is the ability to be anonymous. It fosters honesty, but generally allows people the opportunity to lie without consequences. Because of e-mail, chat rooms, and forums like this one, people can express their deepest feelings freely without risking embarrassment or feeling guilt. The Internet provides us access to an unlimited number of pop-psychologists, anonymous friends, and virtual lovers. It's amazing...but I digress.

My advice, in a nutshell is, be extremely careful. If you inquire about his personal life, he may choose not to share information with you. If he does not, then he has reasons for wanting to remain anonymous. If you do end up sharing information-- telephone numbers, addresses, pictures, etc.-- be sure you know and trust him like an old friend. Giving information out freely can be dangerous.

I don't mean to sound like I'm on a soap box. I have seen friends find true love online. I know someone who travelled over 4,00 miles to meet his companion. There was, however, a mutual trust built up over a long period of time and many precautions were taken.

Good luck.

Hi,

This might sound a little interesting, but I have a totally other point of view than bleeder does. I do respect his post and his point of view, because, yes there are a lot of 'players' out there and you have to be somewhat sure.

My suggestion is that first of all you make sure that you see a future with him and you guys being together. Do you think that it is actually possible. In the end if you want to make it happen, it looks like that HE will have to move to you, IF ... that is ... he does not have any children, either. It is always a little scary to leave everything behind and move to another country.

BUT: I do believe in long distance relationship, when there is perspective to get together. If you want to get to know this guy better and see if he is being honest with things, I would suggest to see if you could call him some day. At least you hear him talking and background noises and it IS easier to judge the situation from then better. See if you can call him anytime or that he is framed with time (which could indicate another woman).

Bottom line: try to take a step forward if you can... but be careful. Like I said there's a lot of 'players' in the field. If you want to hear more about this, find me on AOL or MSN. I think I can help you even beyond this post.

Good luck

~ SwingFox ~

Gawd... *blush* ... soooo much pampering.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually I am a Certified Professional eNotalone.com Meanie, but it hasn't come out, yet (or may be for some members it did... *evil grin*).

Anyway, cookie, thank you for your nice compliments. I really appreciate them and I am glad I was able to help you a little. You're good!!!

Good luck

~ SwingFox ~

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Cookies,

I am sorry to hear what you have gone through. As you know I have followed your situation and it does bother me that friendships actually end like this.

On a side note, I want you to know that EVERY question and posting here is legimate and that by definition includes your questions, remarks and confusions. That's why I invite you to keep posting your questions, should you have any. We are here to help all

Thank you for all the help you have offered to those that are in need of it. Your help is highly appreciated. I wish you luck ...

~ SwingFox ~