Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Why I Choose to Dress Better.

desert_rose26

Well, it's nothing really but to me, it's a big epiphany. I have always avoided wearing lots of skirts and dresses and high heels and makeup. Sometimes I would wear it only if I have a reason to...to go out, meeting people, etc.

But mostly I just wear OK clothing like just plain jeans and a shirt. Why? well, because ever since I was in middle school and throughout highschool, and university...I've felt that girls who dressed up like that were arrogant. I mean the ones that go to class with their high heels clinking and clanking and perfect hair. (sorry for the terrible run-on sentences). I know it's just a stereotype but I didn't want to be at any risk of seeming like that. So that's why I didn't keep up with fashion. I only own 4 pairs of jeans at the moment and use 1 lipstick (so yeah, still workin on it).

It's sad really that I'm only now realizing it. Most of you are probably thinking it's my own fault for thinking these things. I was also too lazy to just jazz up myself everytime I go out...even to the store. I mean, running errands I see some women looking great all the time. It just makes me feel little standing beside them. It's taken me this long to figure out why people didn't take me seriously..or maybe that's not the right word? (Not that I looked very bad but I didn't value myself as much = I didn't take good care of my appearance).

I went to a modeling competition recently and I put on makeup carefully and dressed in heels and put some gel in my hair. After, I dropped by a shopping mall to pick up some stuff and I walked in...not only was I taller (wearing heels) but I felt more confident and comfortable in my own shoes. I finally found a way to fulfill my lack of confidence (for the time being anyways).

I finally learned that taking GOOD care of ones appearance is very important and should not to be taken for granted or thought of as stuck up. It's actually adding value to yourself within society...if that makes sense.

In hindsight, I realize I was also the arrogant one because I thought I could get away with no makeup and no stylish clothes because I was pretty.

I also think that EVERYONE no matter how they dress should be respected and treated equally (I mean like people with no fashion sense vs. people who look great everytime). That's why I didn't care much about my appearance for a decade. I guess I was wrong. coz when I dress up, wow, people DO treat me better and respect me more??? It's a sad thing in this world but...it's true.

So yeah, tell me to grow up! Maybe if some of you also don't really take much care of your appearance like I did, maybe tell me your thoughts too. Sometimes I don't even comb my hair..I actually didn't today.

It's sad really that I'm only now realizing it. Most of you are probably thinking it's my own fault for thinking these things. I was also too lazy to just jazz up myself everytime I go out...even to the store. I mean, running errands I see some women looking great all the time. It just makes me feel little standing beside them. It's taken me this long to figure out why people didn't take me seriously..or maybe that's not the right word? (Not that I looked very bad but I didn't value myself as much = I didn't take good care of my appearance).

'

I wno't tell you to grow up because it sounds like you already have.

What you said above is really true, and i think it awfully mature of you to realize this because so many women NEVER do...even well into their 50s. Truth is some women DO think poorly of women who put effort into her appearance becuse yes, it takes effort and they themselves are not wanting to make the effort and it is easier to just insult those who do. The mature thing is to realize that if you don't want to put in the effort and throw on jeans and a tshirt, that is fabulous and do it for you and have confidence in doing so. But to insult those who actually enjoy dressing up is catty and immature.

But that is not you because you are able to see this and correct the mindset. Good for yoU!

Archived