job change your thoughts?

smiles21

so I currently work As a sales engineer with a small it company. I have been working here fobout a year and a half now. I was recently promoted to this position. I'm 25 years old.

Honestly, I'm not happy doing computer stuff anymore I want to attempt a career in law enforcement as a police officer. I applied to take the civil service exams and they are one month away.

I guess my main problem lies in what to do about my current position at my job. I can't afford not to work as I have to pay my mortgage. I don't know how to approach them and let them know of my intentions. I don't want to express my career change interest and worry about getting fired or a bad reference from my current employer.

And suggestions??

so I currently work As a sales engineer with a small it company. I have been working here fobout a year and a half now. I was recently promoted to this position. I'm 25 years old.

Honestly, I'm not happy doing computer stuff anymore I want to attempt a career in law enforcement as a police officer. I applied to take the civil service exams and they are one month away.

I guess my main problem lies in what to do about my current position at my job. I can't afford not to work as I have to pay my mortgage. I don't know how to approach them and let them know of my intentions. I don't want to express my career change interest and worry about getting fired or a bad reference from my current employer.

And suggestions??

I'd advise you to keep this job until you get your new one. And no, you don't need to express interest in changing careers. I think once you get your foot in the door with your new job, a two-week notice at your old job will suffice.

I'd advise you to keep this job until you get your new one. And no, you don't need to express interest in changing careers. I think once you get your foot in the door with your new job, a two-week notice at your old job will suffice.

The problem lies with me taking another job. A background investigator for the police department will contact my current employer. I'd rather him know before the investigator calls in a month or so and they are surprised.

Not to mention I'm not happy with the position I took, it's much harder and isn't anyone really to help me with it. The guy I replaced pretty much doesn't want anything to do with it anymore and it's stressing me out.

Archived