What's the sweetest thing your partner has done?

martin6565

What's a nice gesture your partner has done for you that you've REALLY appreciated, that has stuck in your head and made you think very highly of them? Like surprises, things out of the ordinary you've done for them, etc...

If they've done nothing for you, what would you really like a partner to do for you to show they cared and their feelings?

I think being there for you during tough times are always the best times.

After I had surgery, he spent a week sleeping on my bedroom floor, carrying me to the bathroom, helping me bathe, helping me enduring a violent reaction to anaesthetic. That entire week he never even thought about himself. He cooked, cleaned, kept me entertained, medicated, hydrated, etc.

Another is this past summer when my uncle died. He lived 8 hours away and I made the trip down. After the funeral procession was exiting the church, I saw him standing in the back row. He drove over 16 hours that day, just to make sure I had support.

There's tons of smaller gestures..like when I go and get my hair done and go to pay, and the girl tells me "Someone tall and handsome took care of it..." or getting a phone call mid week during exams confirming my appointment for a massage from a therapist.

I spend alot of time at my desk at home doing homework, studying, etc...he always makes sure there something on my desk, whether it be flowers, a yummy candle, a candy jar, etc.

One of my other favorite things about him is no matter what, he still walks me to the door, he never drops me off and drives off.

If its late, he comes in..and as I'm brushing my teeth, washing my face etc..he's in my room cleaning off the floor [i cannot sleep with crap on my floor] lays out my bedding all nice and gets my pjs, so all I have to do is walk out and plop into bed.

Its something he's done right from the beginning and still does over 4 years later, and I find it incredibly simple and so sweet.

Before we were dating, he drove six hours to hang out with me for an hour or two and watch Iron Man with me, and then drove six hours back home after the movie...

And when I went to the wrong theatre and we ended up being a couple minutes late to the movie because of it, he was totally cool with it and didn't make me feel stupid at all.

Oh, and he writes me really sweet songs...

i was saying how i wish i had a kid in my life so i could go pumpkin picking w/o looking like a pedophile. so for my bday he said ge'd take me pumpkin picking... something im sure he was totally un-intrested in doing. imagine a full grown man w/ no kids taking his crazy gf pumpkin picking.

we didnt end up going bc there was something else i decided to do, but its the thought that counts

Before we were dating, he drove six hours to hang out with me for an hour or two and watch Iron Man with me, and then drove six hours back home after the movie...

And when I went to the wrong theatre and we ended up being a couple minutes late to the movie because of it, he was totally cool with it and didn't make me feel stupid at all.

Oh, and he writes me really sweet songs...

wow 12 hours to get 3 hours with you.... impressive.

so jealous.... lol but he sounds like a wonderful guy im glad to know theres still some great guys left in the world...

my bf is sweet.... he always takes me out to dinner and pays... buys me my make up... and whatever else i need, when im low on bills or something he always helps me out, cooks me dinner, buys me flowers sometimes, cleans his apt before i come over, make sure i have my towels hanging waiting for me when i take a shower, puts the toliet seat down, and other things...

im happy with him even after all of our ups and downs we had in the past....

After reading some of these it actually makes me so glad that I don't have a girlfriend.

To me it sounds like some of these things fall under being sappy, desperate, or needy. I don't get it. One guy can drive 6 hours to see a girl and he's "sooo sweet," but another guy can do it and he's a "doormat," as people say on here.

After reading some of these it actually makes me so glad that I don't have a girlfriend.

To me it sounds like some of these things fall under being sappy, desperate, or needy. I don't get it. One guy can drive 6 hours to see a girl and he's "sooo sweet," but another guy can do it and he's a "doormat," as people say on here.

I think its all relative to the situation.

Clearly you've never been in love.

He's a doormat if the girl is taking advantage of him and he's letting her do so. There are different contexts.

Clearly you've never been in love.

Nope, and I don't plan to be.

He's a doormat if the girl is taking advantage of him and he's letting her do so. There are different contexts.

Yup, but what do you consider taking advantage of? To me it's a guy who puts in a ton of time and effort in for a girl and doesn't get the same in return from her.

Yup, but what do you consider taking advantage of? To me it's a guy who puts in a ton of time and effort in for a girl and doesn't get the same in return from her.

I agree with that.

If the guy and girl both do things for each other, they aren't doormats, even if they do drive far or help with their housework and other things..doing things for others, especially loved ones, is an admirable trait.

Nope, and I don't plan to be.

No one here listed things they do for their partner. The question asked what your partner has done FOR YOU.

I'm sure if you asked what they do in return, you'll get just as many responses of sappy and over the top things.

No offense carmine but maybe this attitude is why you are having probs in the romance dept.

There is a fine line between acting needy and being kind and considerate to the person you love.

If you don't yet know the difference that is probably why you are finding difficulty in the dating arena. This is not a slam, just a bit of advice that maybe once you figure out the difference you will have better success. Your posts are starting to reek more of bitterness and it makes me realize a bit better why you might be striking out. I know you are frustrated with the whole dating scene but this isn't going to help matters get better.

To put it as succinctly as I can, the main difference is that once you are in a RELATIONSHIP and go above and beyond, knowing that the girl you are doing it for is appreciative, it is not being a doormat. It is showing you love her like she loves you> If you are doing it for a girl that usually slams the door in your face or who talks aobut her great b/f all the time, you are a doormat. If a guy drives six hours to see his g/f who adores him, he is being a good b/f. If he drives six hours to see a girl who has never even been kind to him but he thinks she is hot, then he is being an idiot.

After every race at every swim meet that he was in, the first thing that he did after he won would be to look up at me in the stands and wink at me.

He did it about 5 times every meet.

Also, right after it was all done and the team headed for the lockers, he stood on top of the bench so he could talk to me (I was sitting in the front row of raised bleachers) and asked me where I wanted to go to dinner that night.

Man, what a sweetheart.

Also, the fact that he always won his races and is one of the best in the state made me extra excited.

I know the difference. I guess people didn't pick up that I was saying that last comment I made kind of tongue-in-cheek.

Well after raeding your most recent thread at least I know i was not totally out in left field by my assessment that you seem to be growing more bitter. I hope you get that in check because that will only succeed in making you feel more isolated.

Well, I didn't ask him to... we were already good friends, we both wanted to see the movie, and he asked if he could drive up and see it with me.

I was hesitant because of all that time he would spend driving, but he insisted that it was worth it, so I said I'd love to hang out with him as long as it was something he really wanted to do.

Chick saying, "Drive six hours to watch a movie with me or you'll never have a chance" = doormat

Guy saying, "You are important enough to me that since I have some rare time off, I'm going to drive up and spend it with you, with no ulterior motives" = sweet

Chick saying, "Drive six hours to watch a movie with me or you'll never have a chance" = doormat

Definitely a doormat.

Guy saying, "You are important enough to me that since I have some rare time off, I'm going to drive up and spend it with you, with no ulterior motives" = sweet

Depends on the girl. Some girls might think of it as being sweet, but most girls would consider that intention a doormat move. "Didn't he have anything better to do than drive 6 hours? Doesn't he have friends or a life? What a loser." I've heard that so many times.

Archived