First STD check up- anyone else get like this?

limelight

Hey all

I went for my first STD check up yesterday, I admit I was nervous as Ive never had any kind of gynocologist examination.. I tend to be very tight and dry 'down there' and often dislike the use of fingers in that region at all. For some reason I got a little distressed when they used the plastic dialater for swabbing, I found it abit painful as I was tense shaky, and started sobbing! The women there was absolutley lovely but seemed concerned that I reacted that way and suggested it might be some psychological reason. I dont know why I was crying so much, I guess it was a combination of anxiety (which I suffer from periodically) and embarrassment. It wasnt that big and they were very gentle.

Despite the somewhat unpleasent experience, It hasnt put me off going again if anything I think I wont find it as bad next time. I just wondered if anyone else has these kind of problems and what they do to help it?

Thanks

I had my first one early this year and I CRIED a lot! Possibly for different reasons, it wasn't painful or physically uncomfortable, it was just the whole experience, it had built up inside of me and the nerves got to me. It is no problem that you found the experience emotional, it's normal.

Overall I'm glad I went. I requested to receive my results through text message..they said within 2 weeks. It was 3 and a half! But I got the text, it was a simple "the results of your recent screening test were negative".

I would go back, but I'd prefer not to, so I just won't put myself in a situation where I'll need to again

Hope this helps

Have you been sexually abused in the past? I think the reason she was worried may have been related to how some abuse victims react to getting tested. Going for an STD test can also be very nerve-racking when you suspect something is wrong - mixed with your usual anxiety and some embarrassment it can tip you over the edge.

I think the more you go the more relaxed you'll become. You don't need to be embarrassed there is nothing down there you should be ashamed of. They are very used to seeing everyone's 'bits', it's just their job, they're not judging you.

Thanks for feedback

I was embarrassed more by the fact I felt like a crybaby than what they actually saw. No ive never been abused, but I can see why they might have been concerned. Its not even as if I think Ive a high chance of having an STD, but yeah like you say- its emotional. Ive got to phone up for my results in a few weeks so just gonna put it at back of my mind for now

Thanks for feedback

I was embarrassed more by the fact I felt like a crybaby than what they actually saw. No ive never been abused, but I can see why they might have been concerned. Its not even as if I think Ive a high chance of having an STD, but yeah like you say- its emotional. Ive got to phone up for my results in a few weeks so just gonna put it at back of my mind for now

I'm 24 and have been getting pap smears since I was 16 or so, and I still hate every minute of them. They are so uncomfortable and painful, and I always bleed a little after.

I think you were just nervous and that just made everything 100 times more uncomfortable and painful for you. and yeah, you feel pretty violated with them probing around in there. You'll be OK, it was just a first time experience and you didn't like it. Every woman I know hates going to the gyno.

I haven't found a way to make it pain-free, but trying to relax always helps. I know it's hard to relax thinking about a big plastic contraption going inside you, but the more tense you are the more painful it will be. I ALWAYS get cramping when they put the plastic thingie in me. So I guess the pain to some extent will be inevitable, but the good thing is it's over in a few minutes and you usually only have to do this about once a year!

I think its completely normal for an annual to feel uncomfortable and even slightly painful. I wish for one day a man could really understand what its like! EVERY SINGLE YEAR! To have to go and lay on a table naked and put your feet in stirrups and have a plastic tool put in your business and then be scraped and probed....They have no idea.

I get checked annually for stds, every time i go for my annual. I always use protection, but I still think its a good idea to get checked, even if you're in a monogamous relationship....b/c you never 'really' know what the other person is capable of. And even though I'm careful I still get anxious for about ten days following the exam wondering if they're gonna call....its normal.

I think its completely normal for an annual to feel uncomfortable and even slightly painful. I wish for one day a man could really understand what its like! EVERY SINGLE YEAR! To have to go and lay on a table naked and put your feet in stirrups and have a plastic tool put in your business and then be scraped and probed....They have no idea.

I get checked annually for stds, every time i go for my annual. I always use protection, but I still think its a good idea to get checked, even if you're in a monogamous relationship....b/c you never 'really' know what the other person is capable of. And even though I'm careful I still get anxious for about ten days following the exam wondering if they're gonna call....its normal.

are you serious? they guy gets a huge q-tip looking thing shoved up the hole.

Archived