Temptation: only fools know what it means

Clementine orange

The following is from today's Globe and Mail (National Canadian Newspaper)

Men, be wary of the attractive flirt

Researchers may have cracked the code on why Brad left Jen for that shameless flirt Angelina.

New research from McGill University suggests attached men are more likely than attached women to harbour negative feelings toward their partner after an attractive singleton makes a move, according to the study published in this month's issue of the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.

Women are more likely to view the flirtation as a threat to their relationship and are driven to protect it, the study showed.

Researchers put 724 heterosexual college-age men and women involved in serious relationships through seven lab tests to measure their response to temptation. In one, a member of the opposite sex either flirted with them or ignored them. Afterward, participants filled out a survey saying how they would react if a partner confessed to something like forgetting their anniversary

When flirted with, males were 12 per cent less likely to brush off their partner's blunder. Meanwhile, females were 17.5 per cent more likely to forgive their partner. Lead study author John Lydon says the results may stem from men not being socialized to be wary of attractive strangers in the same way women are.

"Even if a man is committed to his relationship, he may still need to formulate strategies to protect his relationship ..." he said.

I bolded some lines to make it easier to digest....discuss.

Wow, this article makes me just think that men are jerks, Lol.

I think that college-age men are often not as committed in their "serious" relationships as the women think that they are. Committed men are married and I think that they'd view a woman hitting on them as a threat unless they are jerks.

In any case, the whole article scares me. I am going to make sure I get a guy who really loves me so that I don't have to worry about that.

its saying that if a married couple male/female are both being flirted with by members of the opposite sex that the wife would be nicer to the husband and the husband would be less accepting.

possibly because he feels restricted that he cannot act upon the flirts and he feels restricted because of his SO and then takes it out subconsciously on her. women are trained to pick up things like cute men all of a sudden becoming interested in you as a sign of theyre just trying to get in your pants, so thats why women take it as a threat to their relationship. a man is naive and really wants attention and doesnt get it as much as females. and he will think oh shes giving me attention, i like it there cant be anything wrong with this. besides for the fact he cant do it back and since hes not dating himself he cant take it out on himself.

thats my take on it.

i'm inclined to fully agree with this.

but i think that its not 100% gender specific. sometimes the women behave like 'men' and start to turn on their SO if the right flirt presents themself.

Right...For the sake of the study i was keeping the same males acting like males and females acting like females.

I do agree that some women act like men in certain aspects and vice versa. You can tell what type of female would do this. The ICEBOX females. The kind the chew men and spit them out like tobacco *sound of clinking metal* Females like you.

Well, to me , this is again another article that tries to prove that men just can't help themselves and are predisposed to acting on a base level. Whereas, women are expected through all sorts of "proven" scientific studies..to have a better grip on their morals and impulses to be good. It seems to work for the men though. They can keep saying.."But I am a normal, healthy GUY"...I couldn't help it! (oh brother..)

Right...For the sake of the study i was keeping the same males acting like males and females acting like females.

I do agree that some women act like men in certain aspects and vice versa. You can tell what type of female would do this. The ICEBOX females. The kind the chew men and spit them out like tobacco *sound of clinking metal* Females like you.

not at all. i bet the pretty and feminine gals who do non-stop shop inventory of members of the opposite sex do this too.

its not limited to bulldykes like me.

My bf and I went to a friend or his B'day lunch. Interestingly he MADE SURE he sat next to this attractive girl (who yes was a total flirt, single and 28yrs). I ended up at the end of the table.

They were giggling together, and he barely spoke to me throughout the meal. I have told this story on ENA before. He didn't stick up for me at the end when the bill came and I only owed £10 but got made to pay £20. He didn't hold hands with me either or act like a bf. He was like a dog with its tongue hanging out with this girl there. He even stared after he when she walked away. I wanted to throw up.

I told him that if he wanted to be free to date other people then he should let me know. That he was making a mockery of what was supposed to be a serious relationship.

WHAT!!?! I got really mad reading this. My boyfriend wouldn't be my boyfriend the INSTANT he did this. I'd say at that dinner table..."you're not going to sit next to me, YOUR GIRLFRIEND?- okay, sit next to her and forget ever knowing me!" and I'd leave. Honestly, that kind of situation requires a scene in my book- but thats just me. THen I'd leave and never talk to him ever ever again.

Archived