UTIs

alli

Alright, this is probably a little more information than most guys would like to know so men, feel free to skip over this one!

I tend to get urinary tract infections sometimes after sex. The first time I ever got one was when I was 2 years old so I think I'm just prone to these things. I got one a month ago after being with my boyfriend, then I moved for the summer, just saw him again this weekend & got another one right away! Could it be the spermicide in the condoms we use that causes this? It's weird because I didn't have any problems after being with him for months, then all the sudden I get 2 in a row. Ugh, unbelievable.. not the romantic start to the weekend that I anticipated! Ladies, your advice please!

Women are especially prone to UTI's after sex because our urethras (the opening into the bladder) are quite a bit shorter than our male counterparts, and the thrusting action involved in sex drives bacteria up into the urethra, where it travels to the bladder and viola!

How to prevent this?

Drink plenty of water- especially before and after intercourse. Hydration is key- 8-10 glasses a day. Urinate before and after intercourse, even if it is just a little bit, it will help to flush out the bacteria. Keep your hands clean, and wipe front to back after urinating.

Drinking acidic drinks such as cranberry juice may help keep your urine a bit more on the acidic side which helps to resist bacteria.

Women are especially prone to UTI's after sex because our urethras (the opening into the bladder) are quite a bit shorter than our male counterparts, and the thrusting action involved in sex drives bacteria up into the urethra, where it travels to the bladder and viola!

How to prevent this?

Drink plenty of water- especially before and after intercourse. Hydration is key- 8-10 glasses a day. Urinate before and after intercourse, even if it is just a little bit, it will help to flush out the bacteria. Keep your hands clean, and wipe front to back after urinating.

Drinking acidic drinks such as cranberry juice may help keep your urine a bit more on the acidic side which helps to resist bacteria.

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, I do all that & still get them anyway. Except the part about the cranberry juice; I could try to drink more of that.

Does anyone else get UTIs from spermicide? I don't know if that's the cause; just a possibility.

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, I do all that & still get them anyway. Except the part about the cranberry juice; I could try to drink more of that.

Does anyone else get UTIs from spermicide? I don't know if that's the cause; just a possibility.

The spermicide could be causing an agitation that makes you more prone to them. If you feel safe enough with your other birth control methods, try it without the spermicide and see what happens. Maybe try a different brand.

Hi alli,

Im so glad you have written this post because i too suffer from frequent uti's after sex. I have already been to the doctors several times who has just prescribed me with antibiotics each time. They say that if i get it again then they will do further tests but so far they havent.

I dont use condoms because i have been with my partner for quite some time, but i heard that it is indeed the thrusting inside us that cause us to have the burning sensation and feel the need for the toilet so frequently. So far i havent found a way to prevent this happening yet as, like you, i do all the things they tell you to do. Its so painful and it can get to the point where it puts you off sex because you know you're going to have to suffer the pain afterwards!

Ive been going to the toilet directly after sex and at times even having a bath if i feel it coming on. Means i can clean out inside and lessen the risk of getting it. Im really sorry that i cant help you find a method to prevent this because i havent been successful either. Ive been having them for years and wonder what is wrong that no one else seems to get them! Im glad for your story because it at least helps me realise that im not alone on this and there may be a common medical reason for this.

UTI's are the worst feeling in the world in my opinion! I once got one when I was flying back to the US. It was about 24 hours before I could finally get to a doctor, which for anyone who's ever had one you know would be the day from hell!

Since my boyfriend & I don't get to see each other much, we mighy have gotten a little "enthusiastic" which may have helped cause it.

When I saw the Dr this time I requested an extra "refill" since I get them so often, know what they feel like & it would eliminate the hassle of dropping everything to get in to the doctor next time. She gave me a prescription for a week instead of the usual 3 days they normally prescribe (wink wink). Just a little tip for people who get them as often as I do.

Coolchick, I'm glad you feel better knowing you're not alone. The good thing about getting them so often is you pretty much know what it is right away & what you need to do to take care of it! I wonder what the "further tests" actually test for? You should ask next time & request that they actually do it.. test you for... whatever. When I got a UTI when I was 2 I actually had surgery to.. I don't know, elongate the urethra or something. Obviously it wasn't entirely effective.

I totally agree that i cant think of anything ive had thats caused so much frustration and pain before! You honesty feel like you cant go out or do anything bar think of the pain Im the same, me n my boyfriend are long distance and thats tend to be when we tend to over do things and unfortunately results in the after effects.

The nurse explained to me that she would be putting some sort of tube to have a look at the urethia to see if there is any infection there. I didnt ask what would happen after that, i didnt realise it would lead to surgery. What was the surgery like? To be honest, im willing to try anything just to have a normal lifestyle again, as you probably are too. Just hate having the fear of getting one everytime and as often as we do.

Drinking plenty of water definitely works for me, i constantly do it just so that there is a reason to go to the loo and knowing its flushing whatever it is thats causing the pain out. A bath definitely helps too so give that a try after sex if you can. I was getting paranoid at one point n actually starting thinking it was something i was drinking right down to what toilet roll i was using. Horrible

One of my friends had this so chronically that a urologist prescribed her antibiotics she could use to pre-medicate with right before having sex. It didn't matter whether she used a condom or not. Sex almost always aggravated her condition.

Hopefully, your case won't turn out to be as severe as hers was.

Well, I just did a little more research on UTI's & it looks like what they might be testing for is "interstitial cystitis", which you could look up in wikipedia for a pretty good explaination.

Honestly, that surgery was my first memory in life & a pretty traumatic one at that, which I can still remember in more detail than I'd like. But that was mostly from being 2 years old & not knowing what the hell was going on, not the surgery itself. And it was over 20 years ago; I'm sure things in the medical field have changed since then. Who knows if they still even do that surgery anymore.

Have you ever tried those OTC pills that not cure it but make the pain go away? One is AZO & the other is cystex. The first dose usually does nothing for me in relieving the pain but taking a dose or 2 more later in the day & the pain starts to decrease until eventually it goes away. I usually have a pack of those on hand & it's nice to be able to take something as soon as you feel it coming on.

You may be allergic to that certainkind of condom. That's what happens with me anyway. If I use a specific condom (like Trojans for example), I can count on getting a UTI. I too am very prone to them and got them very frequently up until I just decided not to use condoms anymore (of course, if you have casual sex, rethink that!).

Pee before and after sex, even if you dont think you have to. That helps as well. Make sure you are both clean and recently showered. You want to get all the bacteria off of you that you can!

Have you ever tried those OTC pills that not cure it but make the pain go away? One is AZO & the other is cystex. The first dose usually does nothing for me in relieving the pain but taking a dose or 2 more later in the day & the pain starts to decrease until eventually it goes away. I usually have a pack of those on hand & it's nice to be able to take something as soon as you feel it coming on.

I gave up on OTC pills like that and just get through my UTIs the good ole fashioned way--peeing, peeing, peeing and drinking LOTS of water during htem and I stay away from sodas for at least a few days after that. AZO did nothing for me but turn my pee orange.

That's too bad those OTCs don't work for you.. they are a lifesaver for me! I'm so miserable with UTIs, this last one was so bad I could barely bend over in my chair to pick up something off the ground.

By the way I love the Golden Girls. That was by far the greatest tv series of all times; thank god it's still in syndication!

Archived