Sauna/Steam Rooms?

I've only used the sauna and steam rooms a couple of times when I was abroad using the hotel facilities. I was wondering what are the long term benefits of using the sauna or steam rooms?

Has anyone tried that? They say it's good for the skin and your overall health as it releases toxins. Would love to get some input.

I appreciate your help.

I've heard it is good too.

I used to use it all the time when I belonged to a gym.

But then I became kind of grossed out by it....I just think germ-o-rama. Be sure if you do use it that you bring a thick towel to sit on and wear sandals or flip flops.

I don't need a sauna...I just have to walk out my door....it is a sauna outside today! LOL

I never liked saunas...I couldn't handle the heat plus I was always bored silly sitting in there twiddling my thumbs.

it's even worse with naked guys in the same room.

all those movies and commercials where they are just casually sitting there all comfortable talking, mm mm doesn't happen. too weird.

I go there with my gfs and we just relax and chat. It's great for your skin.

I went to one a few months ago fulled clothed with a bunch of guys because we had just finished snowboarding in Vail and were freezing!! So we decided to warm up in the sauna while the other guys finished taking a shower.

But then I became kind of grossed out by it....I just think germ-o-rama. Be sure if you do use it that you bring a thick towel to sit on and wear sandals or flip flops.

I feel the same way. In the sauna at the gym I used to go to, we had wooden benches to sit on and after a while I refused to sit on them because God only knows how many sweaty butts sat there before me. So I usually just stood up and did stretching exercises.

Another thing that bothered me was that they never bothered to mop the floors. I was a member at that gym for roughly 7 months and every day I went into the sauna the floor was a sticky mess. It was so disgusting. And it wasn't a very big sauna either so it was pretty easy to spot the same sweat stains from the days (and weeks) before.

Yes, i think of public saunas as germ factories too...

The hot moist environment is perfect for germ growth, and there are some killer staph infections out there these days on can get from simple contact with surfaces. Just can't stand the thought of sitting where someone else's sticky sweaty naked bottom has been either.... yuck, sorry!

Archived