Weight Loss Help Please

ilovethatgirl

Hello, eNotAlone!

Well, at 16 years old and weighing 180 pounds (and a girl waiting to have sex with me over the summer to boot) I've decided to lose weight. I'm watching what I eat - for example, no more fast food, waay less fatty foods like bacon and such, and going out of my way to eat veggies and fruits. I've also been running on the treadmill, anywhere from 30 mins - 1 hr 15 mins a day (in addition to other exercises I'm doing, like bicycle crunches, push-ups, and bench-pressing). So I was just wondering... what MORE could I do? At this rate, I don't think I'll have achieved the body I want/need by the summer... (summer being the end of June) Any tips from people who might know?

To be honest, I think you are doing a great job and I want to congratulate your initiative. You are far too young to be so overweight.

A good diet, combined with proper exercise is the real key to sustained weight loss.

The only thing I could add is you could watch your portions. Eat until you are comfortable, instead of eating until you are full. Also smaller more frequent meals is better than a few big and heavy meals.

Another thing is to substitute unhealthy options with healthy options. Stairs instead of elevator. Walk to grocery store instead of driving. 15 pushups everytime you go out your front door. If you forget something you force yourself to do 15 more before leaving again. Get a bike and ride that to wherever you are going instead of driving or being driven.

You'll be surprised how quickly the weight comes off...but don't expect to see any major results for the first 4-6 weeks. Then it just starts to shed off like crazy after that once your body and metabolism become established to it's new intake and output of energy.

There just isn't no miracle to losing weight in a month or two. Losing weight takes a lot of time and patience. Besides, you may even gain weight lol. If you work out enough then you'll gain muscle weight. But going to a trainer or what not can help you best! I do hear guys lose weight faster or more than girl does in a certain amount of time. Drink lots of water!

Keep cutting out the junk food and stay active. Eat healthy foods- and talk to your doctor to see if he/she has any suggestions.

You are still in a period of growth- so you have to be sure you are getting enough calories- however be sure the calories are coming from the right foods.

Its better to run outside than on a treadmill. Because you can pause a treadmill, or you can shorten it. If you go for a run/walk outside then you can travel farther, and have no option but walking/running to get back. You can't just pause that and go watch t.v.

First of all, some applause for your efforts.

Going through the teen years is difficult enough without added discontent.

I would say the greatest improvement would be through lifestyle.

Eat according to your goals and supplement daily activities with exercise. Beyond that, you are up against genetics.

Its better to run outside than on a treadmill. Because you can pause a treadmill, or you can shorten it. If you go for a run/walk outside then you can travel farther, and have no option but walking/running to get back. You can't just pause that and go watch t.v.

I have a TV right in front of the treadmill, lol. Basically I tell myself, "I;m going to run for half an hour" or "45 minutes" or "an hour" and I set my clock to go off in that time... and I don't stop until it goes off.

So far you have 2 advantages; you're young and you're male (I know women hate it but men usually have an easier time losing weight). Everyone's given you good advice, and you seem like you are already starting to eat healthier. Do you belong to a gym? Adding muscle will increase body weight at first but muscle aids in burning fat so it will be easier shed unwanted fat later. Fruits and veggies are good to don't skip out on foods such as fish, turkey, and chicken. They all contain high amounts of protein with very few calories and fat.

I think it's great that you are watching your weight- it's easier to do it at your age than when you get older.

The absolute best thing I ever did to get me in shape was to get a physically demanding summer job. That way you have to work out all day whether you want to or not, and plus, you get paid. One year I worked at a greenhouse- lots of heaving lifting. Another year I worked at an amusment park- not as physically demanding, but I was only allowed to eat once a day or I got fired (not the best diet, but my brother lost 20 lbs in one summer by working at the park!)

True.. but thats what music is for, basically not going to think about it. so when it comes down to it mentally your not losin weight. Just find a boot camp, lol.

Getting accustomed to one routine won't do much, you have to mix it up to give your body a challenge and at least one day of light activity.

I'm not really sure why it would be bad to watch TV while running. I do it; it distracts me and makes the time go by faster (I'm too self-conscious to run outside or go to the gym so I use the treadmill at home).

I think you're doing a great job.

One thing I can suggest--watch your carb intake. There's such thing as good carbs and bad carbs. You want to avoid refined carbs like white sugar, white flour, potatoes. The good carbs consist of whole grains, beans, things high in fiber. Eating a lot of fiber helps with weightloss, too.

What you are doing now is perfect. Start off small and just keep adding things as you go (like higher intensity workouts, possibly watching calories, etc.) I lost 106 pounds in the past year and I started off just like you did. You don't want to overdo it from the beginning because you'll get burned out and if you don't see the results right away, you might get discouraged.

I'm a treadmill person too, although I love the outdoors I also like the idea of something else helping to control how fast I am going (if I'm outdoors I might slow down and not realize it, but on a treadmill once you set your speed and don't touch it, you can't slow down!). Anyway, I would suggest that you try to run on the treadmill w/o the TV on. Although it definitely helps to pass the time, it also makes it harder for you to focus on what you're doing. Without the TV on, you can focus more on how your body feels while you're exercising, and also improving your posture and form. If going no TV cold turkey seems like a lot, maybe during commercials you can hit the mute button, or turn the TV off for a minute.

Archived