I agree with you Samantha that Gay men seem to have a much better established culture of their own than lesbians. But go to the right neighbourhoods and you'll see more visible manifestations of lesbian cool.

But my point I was going to make is that gay men are more visible and established in much of the public sphere because men in general are more established and visible in the public sphere.

I also think that the greater intensity of fear and hate which has been reserved for gay men has provoked them to fight back harder, with camp and in your face glittered vengance. If people started bashing lesbians, then lesbians (and their bi sisters) might well fight back in an equally obvious way and a culture would be born. Maybe that's part of why there is prejudice against bi men. They're seen by gay men as traitors, or potential traitors. They can hide easily amongst the thugs.

But there's a double edged sword when it comes to the apparently higher acceptance of both lesbians and bisexual women, which is that it isn't real. What's worse? being hated and feared for what you are? or to be told that you aren't real?

Archived