GF cheated on me, now i have Herpes...LEGAL ACTION?

To bring anyone not in the know up to speed.

I caught my girlfriend of 5 years lying to me about her location, then i catch her with another guy on the week of our 5 year anniv. They have had sexual encounters (dont know what, she just said they did "stuff")

I wrote him a letter saying how she treated me, he broke it off, now they are back together.

I was supposed to propose to her this Christmas

I went to the doctor last week. I found out i now have herpes. I can prove it came from her and during a certain time period

Is it possible that i can take legal action? Can i get something for the lifelong damages or health care cost of medicine?

I was just finally feeling the heartache go away...but this is something else.

It really boils my blood that someone i knew for 5 years can do this.

I even got a call saying her friends want to beat me up, because i sent the new guy a letter explaining all the crap she put me through...resulting in him breaking things off with her.

This is a lifelong problem i will have to face with all my future partners...she really screwed me. I need to do something. If anyone knows a lawyer can you ask them for some quick advice?

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, but unfortunately, as far as I know, no there is not remedy for it, and I don't know if you could file for a lawsuit. I don't think that you can, since it was consensual sex.

I've studied a lot about diseases in my microbiology class. Looking at lab pictures, and growing the bacteria really got me disgusted. I hope that your symptoms are not as bad. Some of the pictures show really nasty blisters of women/men who have contracted it. Glad I'm not in that boat.

(Plus, on the side note, you should be careful of even touching the stair handles along escalators! Lots of bacteria/viruses there as well)

It's really important to use protection, let alone, be very picky with your partner. I think that for those of you who are inexperienced, try to be extra careful, you should arrange appointments to get a blood test/urine test with your partner at the same time, and check lab results at the same time before you decide to jump in bed.

Have you had a lab test yet?

Ok, after looking up a ton of information, it seems to come down to if she could reasonably have had any idea she was exposed to herpes and failed to disclose that to you. At that point, she can be held liable. If you're serious about wanting to take legal action, read through this:

cqc.state.ny.us/newsletter/54cc.htm

And then talk to a civil attorney or legal advice line to get a reference. Generally, they accept a percentage of damages in lieu of a fee in a case like this, so the'll only take a case they figure they have better than even odds of winning - and if you lose, you're not much, if anything, out of pocket.

Sorry you ended up with this to deal with on top of the rest, but arm yourself with as much information as possible and think carefully before you decide if this is something you want to pursue. Best of luck to you.

This depends on your location. In some states in the U.S. there is a precedent for filing legal action based on knowingly exposing someone to an STD. However you have to prove that they knew they had the STD (so if she wasn't tested previously she could claim she didn't know) or as The Morrigan mentions that they knew they were exposed.

Unless this person has a lot of money it probably won't be worth your while to sue. By the time they get done paying legal expenses, if you win anything they can always declare bankruptcy. And they can string the case out for years and delay payment for years after that.

AND, the case will be extremely messy. Because of what you are suing for the opposing lawyer will be allowed to dig into your entire sexual history. Every partner you ever had. They could call them to testify. Your whole private life will be on trial too. Are you sure you really want to go through that?

I am sorry to hear about this? Did you have any signs like bumps, or did you just go in for a check up and they told you this? I think you should tell your ex that she gave this to you, so she will not go spreading this around to any more people. Again I am so sorry to hear this.