Cervical cancer

I know this probably isn't the best forum to chose but I just found out that my fiance's sister has been diagnosed with stage 3 cervical cancer, and it has made me feel quite sick with worry. She is only 21 and does not deserve it! She is one of the nciest people I have ever met, and she is, again, sooo young. I have searched around for survival statistics and stuff but its not really helping me - I can't find the information I need and it's stressing me out. Can anyone help me? Give me advice on how cope etc. and, if you can, tell me how likely it is that she will survive with it being so far into the stages?!?!

I'm sorry this has happened. 21 is very young but it also means she is generally fit and strong, which will help her fight against it. No one deserves this.

Some info for you.....

Stage 3 is usually treated with chemo and radiation therapy together. The stats show that between 30%-50% of women diagnosed at this stage live at least five years after diagnosis.

There are other factors that can affect prognosis, apart from the stage of the cancer. How well you are overall affects it too. Doctors grade what they call the ‘performance status’ of a patient. A score of 0 means they're completely able to look after themselves. A score of 1 means they can do most things, but might need a little help. The scores continue to go up, depending on how much help you need. Like I said, the fact that she's young will help her.

Also, keep in mind that no stats can tell you what will happen to her. Cancer is unique. The same cancer can grow at different rates in different people. There are so many individual factors that can affect what might happen. The fitter you are for treatment the better your prognosis is going to be.

Here's a couple of links where you can go for more info and look into getting some support.

link removed

link removed

Well, I don't think anyone at any age deserves it....but I know what you mean.

Unfortunately, many young women don't realize how imperative it is to get regular pap tests and catch these changes early when it is HIGHLY treatable as they do feel their youth means they won't have problems. However, cervical cancer does occur in young women particularly those whom have been exposed to certain HPV strains (and not know it necessarily) and thereforeeee regular paps are needed.

It is harder the earlier in diagnosis it is as it is all a shock I am sure; but her doctors will be able to determine with her what best treatment it may be. Often it can mean removal of cervix (or part of) or more; but this really depends. There is usually radiation and chemotherapy.

What is right still will depend on further tests; often people diagnosed at a stage may have a different stage...

I have had Stage 2 and the treatment worked well. HPV doesn't cause Cervical Cancer. Even the FDA now admit this and the whole vaccine thing is actually a waste of time. There more evidence to suggest that the vaccine actually kickstarts the growth of CC.

If it was caught early it may be ok. The treatment is usually pretty good and depending on the seriousness, chemo may not be needed. I had LEEP surgery where the burned the areas away. But I was also prepared for the worst, and if removing my cervix was going to save my life I would have done it.

I always stress to friends that they MUST get pap smears regularly. You wont get to Stage 3 if you are regularly checked. PLEASE do it. Don't rely on the stupid vaccine. Read about it first - I wouldn't have it if you paid me.

link removed

To the OP, I am extremely sorry to hear about your fiance's sister. Thanks to the treatments now available the survival rates are extremely high. I have had a few scares of Cervical Cancer now (and i'm only 20) so I can somewhat understand how scared she must be. Her doctors will help her figure out which treatments are best for her. Best of luck to you all.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not sure where you get your information from... (taken from link removed)

(taken from the ACS website link removed)

The vaccine is a cash cow, nothing more. If the FDA is saying HPV is not connected to Cervical cancer - it isnt. You will see this info in mainstream media soon. Hell, it wasn't ever TESTED properly before it was put on the market. I would not risk my own health or my children's health on a product that no one knows much about. You can read about this stuff everywhere. Did you actaully READ the link i gave you - not just what I said? Please read it so you can be objective. The you wouldnt have to ask where I got my info from. The RFDA info comes for FDA documents themselves.

link removed

Here are other articles related to the same issue.

link removed

link removed

I like to know everything before I make decisions about my health. None of us should blindly take everything we hear as gospel, especially in the Pharma industry. It's all about money first, people second.

HPV has loads of different types and there are some "high risk" types that can lead, first to pre-cancerous legions, and then to cervical cancer - This is only if left undetected and untreated. There are also types that cause genital warts. 9 out of 10 HPV infections will clear up naturally but in some it won't.

From Sep 2008 the British government is making the vaccine for HPV available to all girls aged 12-13 because it works best before people become sexually active. The vaccine protects only against the "high risk" type of HPV.

Chelle, what you've put above is nothing to do with HPV causing cervical cancer and everything to do with the detection and testing of HPV. You're saying that this company (who, incidentally have their own test for HPV) want the FDA to change what they're saying about their test - that it's only for detecting HPV, not Cervical cancer. I wouldn't trust this info further than I could throw it. This HI-FI company have a vested interest in discrediting the FDA because they have their own test on the market. That link is a news story with no references to back up their claims.

If you look at the huge array of medical journal articles out there every single one will say that HPV is the leading cause of cervical cancer. The American Cancer Society developed guidelines for the use of the prophylactic HPV vaccine for the prevention of cervical cancer last year (2007). Their recommendations are based on a formal review of the available evidence. I would certainly trust their guidelines and recommendations over some company.

Here's the link....

link removed

It's funny you say HPV isn't connected to Cervical Cancer.. answer this one,

How did my Aunt go from being diagnosed having HPV and then not even a year later she had stage 2 cervical cancer? Hmm? Coincidence? I think not! As last poster said, I will believe the ACS over any "company" out there. if you want to believe it then more power to you, but as someone who is personally being affected by HPV and at risk for developing cervical cancer the website you provided to me tells me nothing more than it's just a bunch of people trying to go against the vaccine. (Just like they are trying to go against vaccine's made for children, just abunch of people trying to make others scared.)

There are some valid concerns about vaccinations. While reactions are rare, when they do happen they can cause disability or even death. In some cases they can do more harm than good. I am personally quite leery of the HPV vaccine and would not get it or inject a daughter with it until more research is done. Just like any new drug or medical treatment- you really need valid and reliable longitudinal studies with a large sample size to see it's true effect over time. In my eyes, it's too soon to tell if this is safe. Far too often, drugs and treatments are found to be harmful once it's too late. All you have to do it look at drug recalls and vaccination batch recalls...or data from "VAERS".

But that is not what this thread is about. It's about someone who needs help because their sister in law has cervical cancer:

I know this probably isn't the best forum to chose but I just found out that my fiance's sister has been diagnosed with stage 3 cervical cancer, and it has made me feel quite sick with worry. She is only 21 and does not deserve it! She is one of the nciest people I have ever met, and she is, again, sooo young. I have searched around for survival statistics and stuff but its not really helping me - I can't find the information I need and it's stressing me out. Can anyone help me? Give me advice on how cope etc. and, if you can, tell me how likely it is that she will survive with it being so far into the stages?!?!

So please let's stay on topic and try to help the OP.

Archived