Knowingor Not

RealBrookeI

I was using wisers definition or rather watching it expand, evolve or something.

If you read from the first post and all of the following you will see where it is that me and wiser are at.

P.S.

I know that you might not have time to read all of the posts in this thread but it is the best way to know where the discussion is at.

I did read thru it and am a pretty good study but my question was regarding the motivation for your original post. As I already stated. I thought I was clear, my apologies if it was not.

Your definition of insanity was changed when you said that gambling is insane because only a select few are actually successful.

And we both agreed that only a select few actually make a lot more money going into private practice (which is your definiton of success) meaning that if your goal was to make more money it was insane to go into private practice since only a select few actually do.

No, it's not insane to go into private practice, because my definition of insanity is "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results".

It might be a "risky move" for some to go into private practice, especially if they dont have the motivation or managerial, or business skills to be successful.

A far greater percentage of eye doctors have been successful in private practice than the miniscule few who have made money at gambling. I don't think they can be compared, and again, when I said that gambling is "insane" I was saying it "tongue in cheek", as stated above. Gambling is NOT insane, as per my stated definition of insane, I just dont think its a particularly good way to make money.

I did read thru it and am a pretty good study but my question was regarding the motivation for your original post. As I already stated. I thought I was clear, my apologies if it was not.

My bad and I apologize to you

the origins really didnt start at success but drifted there in an effort to fully get accross what I am thinking.

Essentialy I had to go back to the workforce because of a lack of follwing through on what it was that I said I had to do in order to succeed (success being enough money to not have to work) and now that I am back in it I have noticed how many people desire the same thing that I do but when discussing with them further have no clue as to how they are going to accomplish it.

I want to throw my 2 cents in there for them but realize that at the moment I am not practicing what I am preaching.

Frustrated in the fact that i didnt fail rather simply didnt execute and paying the price for it now.

Does that make sense again it isnt coming out on the forum the way it is in my head and when I write whats in my head it doesnt make sense in written form even though I know it makes sense in my head.

No, it's not insane to go into private practice, because my definition of insanity is "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results".

This is also my philosophy. I say it a lot here - that old word processing term, garbage in, garbage out. In other words, same old input, same old output.

It might be a "risky move" for some to go into private practice, especially if they dont have the motivation or managerial, or business skills to be successful.

A far greater percentage of eye doctors have been successful in private practice than the miniscule few who have made money at gambling. I don't think they can be compared, and again, when I said that gambling is "insane" I was saying it "tongue in cheek", as stated above. Gambling is NOT insane, as per my stated definition of insane, I just dont think its a particularly good way to make money.

Okay, so in your case going back to that moment you decided to make the move you did what would have been the "insane" thing to do.

Okay, so in your case going back to that moment you decided to make the move you did what would have been the "insane" thing to do.

No, you got it backwards. Doing the same thing over and over is "insane" by my definition. So doing something "different" such as "making the move" was a step AWAY from insanity because I stopped doing the same thing over and over.

This is also my philosophy. I say it a lot here - that old word processing term, garbage in, garbage out. In other words, same old input, same old output.

Is it possibile to be insane simply because you dont have access to the proper "program" to get out of the insanity or even recognize it.

For instance when I first started working several years back I lacked the ability to let things go (the little slights and occourences that every job have) so after 6 or so months of holding onto thos slights I would quit because literally the physical reality of it for me was it was too much.

then at the next job same thing, only I wasnt really consciouslly aware of the reasons behind it and would find many of the other reasons.

So yes it was insane to think that there would be a job or carear that I could find in which there would be no slights or issues especially now that I know I was holding onto all of them.

Am I making any sense here?

No, you got it backwards. Doing the same thing over and over is "insane" by my definition. So doing something "different" such as "making the move" was a step AWAY from insanity because I stopped doing the same thing over and over.

So what was the thing that you were doing over and over and when did you finally realize it or am I still missing something here?

The thing I was doing over and over was working in one commercial optical establishment after another. I bounced around for years until I settled into private practice.

Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

So if you can recall, was there a certain thing that led to your eventual bounce to another optical establishment and when did you decide that going into private practice was the solution or possibile solution?

I wasn't happy working for someone else. I was making ok money but it wasn't what I expected. The reason I originally went to optometry school was because my father was an optometrist in private practice. We had a falling out so my career plans changed.

At some point we sat down and agreed that me taking over the practice was best for both of us. We put aside our differences and made it work.

Again, my situation may not be such a great analogy. It was simply the first thing I thought of when I read your OP.

I wasn't happy working for someone else. I was making ok money but it wasn't what I expected. The reason I originally went to optometry school was because my father was an optometrist in private practice. We had a falling out so my career plans changed.

At some point we sat down and agreed that me taking over the practice was best for both of us. We put aside our differences and made it work.

Again, my situation may not be such a great analogy. It was simply the first thing I thought of when I read your OP.

So then you already had a successful private practice in place and simply had to follow the formula and perhaps make some small or minor adjustments?

My father had a successful private practice in place. I had no ideas about how to run a practice, manage a business, be a boss to over 5 employess...etc.

I learned by the seat of my pants, I had many sleepless nights, I figured that there was no way I would be able to follow in my father's footsteps, and I thought the business would fail under my leadership. 20 years later, I am 4x as busy as he was, and making a lot more money. Much of which, will go to my soon to be exwife.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived