Knowingor Not

RealBrookeI

Knowing what to do, and finally getting smart enough to do it. Just because you know what to do and you aren't doing it doesn't mean you can't change the way you do things and do what you know you should do.

"insanity is defined as doing the same thing over and over yet expecting different results"

I have never seen an example of that.

People fail all the time and do the exact same thing over and over again until finally they get the result that they are looking for.

In general yes doing the same thing over and over again is insane

But a baseball player practices his swing over and over again with the expectation that soon he will begin hitting.

Every success is based on something that you have done over and over again that in the beginning may not have been successful.

Perhaps what I am trying to say is at what point do you know that what you are doing isnt working

But a baseball player practices his swing over and over again with the expectation that soon he will begin hitting.

Perhaps what I am trying to say is at what point do you know that what you are doing isnt working

Not a good example. The baseball player is swinging slightly differently each time, that's why he is able to hit the ball better.

How do you know it's not working? Hmm...that is very situational dependent.

For example, you might be at a job for years and realize its a dead end and it's time to make a switch, but you might realize within 2 days that the mice aren't going for the cheese in the trap and you have to bait it with something else

Not a good example. The baseball player is swinging slightly differently each time, that's why he is able to hit the ball better.

For example, you might be at a job for years and realize its a dead end and it's time to make a switch, but you might realize within 2 days that the mice aren't going for the cheese in the trap and you have to bait it with something else

That is exactly my point, it is almost impossibile to do the same thing over and over again.

I understand the original statement just dont see examples of it.

For your job example at what point do you realize that it is a dead end and in what way would staying be doing the same thing over and over again.

Much closer to what I am trying to express the example I have in my head is whenever someone hits it big on a slot machine there are many people who went before them who if they had continue to do the same thing over and over again would have one the jackpot, yet would they be considered insane for sitting at one slot machine

I've started noticing how few people have any actual goals or wants in life that come with an actual plan.

For instance many people want to be rich but still work a 9 to 5 knowing or maybe not knowing that not too many people get rich working 9 to 5 at the type of jobs that they are working 9 to 5 at and that is the only plan that they have.

Is it insane?

Yes, do they know they are doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result?

If they dont does that make them more sane than the person who knows and still does it?

Man,, I write this stuff down and doesnt come anywhere near what I am thinking, is anybody following this?

So is gambling insane because you do the same thing over and over expecting a different result or is that the reason why so many people get hooked because the definition of insanity that you gave wouldnt fit in regards to gambling

When I said that "gambling is insane", I meant it somewhat "tongue in cheek".

Gambling is a fun pastime for many...but those expecting to make money at it are being foolish, to say the least.

And you could apply the theory that it's insane to gamble because it is "doing the same thing over and over again and getting the same results"; because only a select few actually make any money at it.

Hmm...I worked in several different Optical places after I graduated school. I was making good money but not lots.

When I went into private practice, I started making BIG money.

I define that as a personal success that resulted from doing something differently.

Hmm...I worked in several different Optical places after I graduated school. I was making good money but not lots.

When I went into private practice, I started making BIG money.

I define that as a personal success that resulted from doing something differently.

Would you say that the majority of people who do whatever you do in regards to "Optical' go into private practice and in regards to the ones who do go into Private practice how many end up faring worse than when they worked for someone else.

Would you say that the majority of people who do whatever you do in regards to "Optical' go into private practice and in regards to the ones who do go into Private practice how many end up faring worse than when they worked for someone else.

Most optometry school graduates do NOT go into private practices. They work for one of the big commercial chains. Whether or not they are "successful" depends on your definition.

My income level is higher than the average optometrist who works for a commercial chain, other docs in private practice may not make as much but they have the freedom of "being their own boss". To some, that may be all they need to define success.

Most optometry school graduates do NOT go into private practices. They work for one of the big commercial chains. Whether or not they are "successful" depends on your definition.

My income level is higher than the average optometrist who works for a commercial chain, other docs in private practice may not make as much but they have the freedom of "being their own boss". To some, that may be all they need to define success.

We are using your definition for your argument, (if you dont know thats okay) would you say that there is a bigger risk of making less working for a big chain or becoming your own boss.

Much, much less risk working for a big chain than becoming your own boss.

Then according to your definition if I am understanding you correctly the only way that you could have become a successful "Eye Guy" was if you were insane.

Brings that quote to my mind of "There is a thin line between genius and insanity"

Wiser what is your definition of success as in most things only a select few are actually successful meaning that Life in general is insane according to the definiton.

Whose definition of success are we using?

Some people equate success with money, some with spiritual gain, others with family successes....

Then according to your definition if I am understanding you correctly the only way that you could have become a successful "Eye Guy" was if you were insane.

Brings that quote to my mind of "There is a thin line between genius and insanity"

No, quite the opposite. I did something DIFFERENT. I went into private practice instead of doing the same thing (working for a chain) over and over.

Not sure where you got your analogy from, but it's backwards.

No, quite the opposite. I did something DIFFERENT. I went into private practice instead of doing the same thing (working for a chain) over and over.

Not sure where you got your analogy from, but it's backwards.

Your definition of insanity was changed when you said that gambling is insane because only a select few are actually successful.

And we both agreed that only a select few actually make a lot more money going into private practice (which is your definiton of success) meaning that if your goal was to make more money it was insane to go into private practice since only a select few actually do.

Whose definition of success are we using?

Some people equate success with money, some with spiritual gain, others with family successes....

I was using wisers definition (post 17) or rather watching it expand, evolve or something.

If you read from the first post and all of the following you will see where it is that me and wiser are at.

P.S.

I know that you might not have time to read all of the posts in this thread but it is the best way to know where the discussion is at.

Archived