Homesickness

Hey all!

Well to make a long story short I moved to London during the Summer to live with my boyfriend and his Mum. I attend a great College and I'm having a fantastic time. I'm not having any problems or worries except for the fact I feel homesick. I started buying Christmas presents early so I save money later on and I just started to feel homesick. I miss my Mum and Dad so badly and I know I shouldn't feel inadequate but I do. I'm 18 years old. I'm sat in College and I feel a little homesick there because when I look at my friends, I realise they're still with their families. I'm not sure what to do really. I don't in anyway regret my decision of moving, I feel positive and confident and really keen to thrive to my best but it's just I feel homesick.

Can anyone else relate or recommend a solution?

Thanks,

MG x

Are you from far away?

Homesickness can be TERRIBLE. I used to suffer very badly from it. I think it's something we grow out of.

But the only solution, unitl you see your folks again, is not to dwell on it, and to have as much FUN as possible! Go out, meet people, distract yourself. And keep in touch with your folks regularly. Only when you get off the phone, say to yourself, 'that's ok, all's well with them, now on to something else...' In other words, put the melancholy feelings in their place, don't let them drag you down.

It DOES get better, it's just a matter of adjustment!

((hugs))

I can definitely relate! I've moved all the way from The States to Turkey!

I get incredibly homesick - I have my good days and bad days, or good hours and bad hours.

Some of the things that have helped me with my homesickness is talking with my friends and family online with VOIP or webcam. Do you have skype? If not, go to link removed and download the software. Tell your friends and family to do the same. If you have speakers and a microphone on your computer, you can call eachother - computer to computer - for free. Getting a webcam helps a lot too because you feel so much closer to someone when you can actually see the expressions on their face.

Another thing that helps me is finding ways to do some of the things that I used to do at home - whether it's watching American TV shows and movies, cooking some of my favorite food, going to the cinema or taking a drive/walk to the park.

A cool website where you can watch lots of tv shows and movies for free is link removed.

Are you from the UK and moved to London or did you move overseas? If you are closer to home, maybe you can plan a weekend trip to visit your family and friends or vice-versa. If you are further away, maybe you can encourage some friends or family to make an international trip to come and see you - having a friend/family member abroad is a great excuse to travel and see the world!

I think above all, the most important thing is to keep a positive mindset, which it seems you have, and stay in touch with your loved ones. Try your best not to let your homesickness ruin your lifetime experience...whenever I start feeling really down, I tell myself..."when you are seventy or eighty years old, you'll be telling your grandchildren how you travelled the world, and they'll look at you in wonder as if they can't believe that you were ever that young and adventurous." Hehe

I hope I helped...and if you have any other ideas for combatting homesickness that you want to share, I'd love to hear them!

Feel free to PM me too

Archived