Just needed to vent after work. For those with demanding careers... How do you handle job stress? I'm a narcotics/K9 officer for the state prison. I work about 60 hours a week. I search incoming visitors for drugs, search inmate housing, vehicles, incoming deliveries and the general perimeter. My dog is also trained to attack. Drugs are everywhere. I am at risk of being exposed to HIV, HEP C, and TB on a daily basis. Most of the drugs come through visitors. They are famous for inserting drugs into their own body. One lady had an infant child, visiting her husband. She inserted a gram of pure cocaine into the infant's rectum to smuggle it in. The dog caught it, saving the child's life. If the bag breaks in there, you die. Seeing stuff like this makes me physically ill. It's sad and stressful to work with felons all day long. All they do is recommit another crime and end up back in jail. The system is faulty and the drugs are endless. People are becoming ill and dying all the time just to chase a high. Sometimes I feel like I make no impact on the drug trade that infests this country... I love my job, but sometimes the stress gets to me. Unlike a regular cop, I get no positive feedback from the people I serve. I don't arrest wife beaters or save kittens. I have never pulled someone from a burning car or stopped a bank robber. I work with convicted murderers. It feels like my effort has no effect at all sometimes. How do you deal with career stress?

wow - that sounds stressful! my job isn't stressful in the same way, but we do have some overlapping stressors, like I am also exposed to many potential illnesses and injuries where I work. i just try to be careful, pay attention to what I am doing, and wash my hands a lot. I try to take an extra few minutes and not do dangerous things if I am sleepy and haven't thought things through.

i guess in your situation, you don't always have a few minutes to stop and think about a situation.

I do a lot of yoga and meditation, that helps a lot.

do you feel that you would feel more fulfilled in another branch of police work?

yoga is both spiritual, and for flexibility and strength (some poses are very intense!), and for calming. it has many effects, depending on what type you are practicing. meditation has helped me clear my mind when I am having a hard time getting rid of the "chatter."

If you were working a less demanding schedule (40 hrs a week), I would suggest doing something out in the community. Be it, join a recreational sports team or something that helps the community. It sounds like you could use some experience that shows there is good in this world. I guess there is no way to cut back the hours, I can't see many people working 60 hrs a week by choice.

Does your department have any services to help employees deal with the stress? It sounds like a job where those kind of safe-guards would be a necessity.

I hit the bags sometimes. And I don't think we have any sort of programs for stress. They have a team, but they only come out when someone is assaulted or worse.. Someone tried to attack the dog. He got charged with assault on a staff member. He gets to be locked up 23 hours a day now. Made me chuckle a little bit. I feel good today. I found a syringe in one of my dorms I'm assigned to watch. Tomorrow I'm going to trash every single cell and throw out everything that's not assigned. Let the dog dig his teeth into the mattresses. Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll give yoga a try.

Archived