question about taking my pill

shoegal21

This may be really stupid, but im in a rut and it's after 5 so I cannot get ahold of my Dr. or nurse.

Im starting new birth control. I got my period, so I took my first pill last night (sunday) I did it as a day 1 start. Here is where I stress, I took my first pill at 1:30AM. I do not know when to take my next pill!!!! Does anyone have any knowledge of this??? I really need help!!! Thanks

You've got approximately an hour and a half window on either side of when you first took that pill. What I would do is bump it up to about midnight this evening (or tomorrow morning, depending on how you want to look at it), then gradually bump it up to the time you want to start taking it. Then take it regularly at that time. Your bleeding will be a little screwy this month, but it would be anyway, if you're starting a new pill.

or you could go the other way, take it at midnight tonight, 10:30 PM, tomorrow, etc.... until you get to your desired time. Or you could just take it at 11:30 AM tomorrow morning. I bet that's what the pharmacist would tell you to do.

you may want to double up on birth control, while your body is getting adjusted to the new medication....

just in case, call your pharmacist and run these ideas by them!

If you want to take your pills at 11:30 a.m., you'll have to work up toward that, like annie24 said. If you just randomly start taking them at 11:30, it can impact how effective the pills are. I think it'd be easier to work backwards, but if you want to set your alarm overnight, by all means!

i think im just going to do that. cause i dont want things to be all screwy. im such a tard for doing this, i was just so anxious to start my pill and i had finally got my period so im like ok, im going to take it. i could have just waited to take it when i woke up. but i didn't so now im just going to go a month with taking it at 1am. LOL it's a relief to know that i can do that. next cycle ill do it right LOL thanks guys

No. Doubling up on your pill is a bad way to go about this, especially if you're just starting on this pill.

You have a maximum of 90 minutes in either direction of when you last took your pill. If you ultimately want to take your pill at 11:30 each morning, you need to work up toward that. If you take it at midnight tonight, take it at 10:30 the next night, and then at 9:00 the night after that, until you're up to 11:30. Unless you take the pills at the same time every day, they are ineffective.

i fianlly spoke w/my nurse, she said to take a pill now. and then take the next pill at the time that i want 11:30. but to use a back up method for the first week or so. then to make sure i called a pharmacist, she indeed said the same thing, but instead she told me not to worrry about a back up method, cause its a new pack and i havent missed any pills.

im wondering, if i just continue to take my pill at the time i took it last night 1am, if i indeed need a back up method (condoms) cause on my insert it says if you are a day 1 starter (1st day of your period) in my case, a back-up method is not nessecary......

i've got 500 people telling me different things.

Do exactly that, then - take your pill tonight and then at the time you want in the morning, but if you want pregnancy protection, you need to use condoms for at least the next week. I'd really advise you to continue a backup method until your next period, if for no other reason than your pill mix-up here, but the chances of you conceiving are slim after the first week or two.

Do exactly that, then - take your pill tonight and then at the time you want in the morning, but if you want pregnancy protection, you need to use condoms for at least the next week. I'd really advise you to continue a backup method until your next period, if for no other reason than your pill mix-up here, but the chances of you conceiving are slim after the first week or two.

I think im finally relieved...thank you so much =]

Technically, you should take it at the same time every night. If you didn't want to take it that late though I think it would be okay to take it earlier and have that as the set time you take it. A lot of people, including me, use their cell phone daily alarm to tell us when to take it. haha

hey now that's a good idea. yeah, i spoke w/my nurse she said to take my second pill this evening and then the next one at the same time that i took the second one. she said i'd be fine. im going to use the cell phone trick tho =] hah

Archived