i have always thought of 21 year olds as adults....until now

Well, why do people disagree with relationships whith age gaps? I met a 21 year old through an activity i am involved in. Me being only 16, and have never meet someone in that age range before..i automaticly considered him an adult. I never thought anything. Then one day someone began to spread rumors that he and i were secretly going out....which under all circumstances were false. Even if we were....it would get us kicked out of the organization, and i am an extreme goody goody, so where that rumor came from i don't know. I have been getting to know him better, and he is pretty cool. But i still think 5 years is too much. Even if i did like him back..i would still say no, because of the age difference. The Other problem is that i never got to figure out what i feel about the whole situation since accusations were sprung on me. To make things even worse.....i figured out he does like me....and it couldn't get anymore obvious. He respects me and hasn't done anything stupid, which is a big fear of mine, I just dread the day he decides to confront me about his feelings. I enjoy hanging out as friends, but its hard when people turn it into something it is not. What should i do??

I thank you all who have commented.....but I don't think i made my question clear. He is one of the coolest people i know....i just have no idea how to tell him No when he confronts me about his feelings. And the other issue is that i enjoy hanging out with him, but how do i turn away the accusations?? are we sussposed to sacrifice our friendship just because of some rumors?

follow your heart. If you don't think its right, then dont do it.

I had same problems as you did, someone started rumors about us which there is absolutely no way in hell there was a moment when the so called rumor happened. Out of curiosity me and my girl kinda wanted to see what it would be like. things didn't happen at all that we planned. 1st date was the only thing that went to plan, even then it was hard to pull off.

I already talked a little about it on AIM with you, don't think others need to know what the deal is

as I said, do what feels right.

Well, I think a 5 year age-gap at your age is not wise. You guys aren't at the same place in your lives, it would be very difficult to pursue a romantic relationship. Perhaps you should suggest the two of you stay friends, and maybe in a few years (when you're an adult) you guys can hook up and it'll be legal. Let him down easy when he reveals his feelings to you though.

I think that a five year age gap is fine-but not when one person is under 18. If you both say, 25 and 30, then that would be no problem-as you're roughly gonna be on the same wavelength. Being 22 myself, I would seriously never consider being with a 16 year old because I remember when I was 16 and quite frankly, the type of person I was then is a million miles away from the person that I am now. I just couldn't see how I would gel with a person that age. I don't really think that it's morally right either. At the end of the day, it's an individuals own choice, but I'd think carefully if I were you, because I genuinely can't see what a 21 year old person would want with a 16 year old. Do what you think is right and even though you are friends, be cautious of him!