confused bout my bf... =(

I just got together with someone a month ago. My b-day was last week. This is the first time that I am in a relationship when it is the month of my b-day (my other relationships ended before my b-day). So I was kinda excited for a few days of what my b/f would give me for my b-day.

Unfortunately the present he gave me was worse than what I was expecting. Even my guy friend bought me a better one. My boyfriend gave me a box of chocolates... *yikes*. At first it didn't really matter much to me, but days later it bothers me. I, of course, thanked him and didn't show to him that I didn't like what he bought me, because I didn't want him to think that I expect too much from him or I didn't appreciate what he gave. I understood that he's not that wealthy and that I'm wealthier than him. I don't care about it, I love him, but it bothers me when I wonder if I'm not good enough for him, that he thinks buying a box of chocolates is enough or I, his g/f, is not important to him or he has no idea what to give a girl (he has never been with a girl) or he is just plain not wealthy.

I didn't want to talk to him about this, because I didn't want him to know that what he gave me was 'crap' and I didn't want him to think I look down on him and didn't want him to think that I am making a small problem into a big problem.

I have faith in him and I don't care wether how not wealthy he is. Another thing is I am trying not to cause problems with him, because I really love him and I don't want to loose him. Any advice? Btw, I'm only 15.

sk8r_gurl,

Hi, I understand why you would worry, but from my point of view you shouldn't. I'll bet he tried to get what you would think was "cute", and something that showed he cared for you. A box of chocolates is a classic gift, and he's probably trying not to make a mistake. My guess is he wasn't being cheap or anything like that.

Try to think of what you want from him. Do you want him to spend money on a wonderful gift? Or do you want him to love you and respect you? He probably thought he was making the right move, so don't jump to conclusions yet...

Just a thought!

S.A.M.

hey

I don't think you should worry about the fact he bought you chocolates. They're not the earth, but chocolates are (as secret agent man said) a 'classic gift' and normally a safe bet (except when they have nuts in cos I'm allergic!). My advice is, don't worry about what it meant - he probably didn't know what to get. Once he knows you a bit better I'm sure he'll have loads more ideas! He remembered after all and got you something he probably thought he couldn't go wrong with. And you guy friend probably knows you better so could choose a better present! As for the cost, well I don't know how rich he is but as long as he treats you really well, I wouldn't equate the cost of the gift with how much he likes you. He probably didn't want to seem too full on and scare you off by spending a lot of money, especially seeing as you've only been together for a month.

You say you're 15, my advice is try and enjoy yourself without worrying too much. I spent too long worrying at 15 (I'm 20) and wish I'd chilled out a bit more! So although you care about this guy, try not to let the relationship take over your mind with worries etc. Just enjoy it.

Good luck to you guys, let me know how it goes.

em