Was I right to unfriend my friend?

dragonfly87

I haven't unfriended anyone from Facebook since 2013 but today, I broke that rule.

I had this Mexican friend on my fb (he's 31 year old). I unfriended him after he told me that he's been trying to turn himself in to the police. Initially I thought it was relating to being involved in a gang, drugs or minor misdemeanors. In my total shock, he revealed to touching his niece's vagina 10 years ago. The girl was just a kid at the time. He then also revealed that when he was 11, his older brother raped him and never got justice for it.

I got disgusted with what he did as an adult and informed him that I was going to take him off the list. He understood that I didn't want to speak to him anymore and is remorseful for what he did. I have a 3 year-old godson and the topic about a child getting touched inappropriately or molested even once is sensitive to me. For me it doesn't matter how remorseful they are. There is never ever a good reason for a grown-up to be touching a child's private parts.

I mean...that's some heavy stuff, for sure.

But more importantly, who you keep on your social media is completely your choice. Curate your friends list however you like. I've personally deleted people because they post too many selfies with fauxspirational quotes.

If someone admitted to me that they had sexually assaulted a child, I would be helping them turn themselves in to the police, not ruminating whether deleting them as a friend was the proper course of action.

If someone admitted to me that they had sexually assaulted a child, I would be helping them turn themselves in to the police, not ruminating whether deleting them as a friend was the proper course of action.
Thank you for your reply. I would do that if he was located in my country but he's in Mexico.

Before deleting him from my list, I told him to continue trying to turn himself in. He already told the police but they won't lock him up. It's strange how things work in Mexico.

Archived