Parties and events

monkeysblood

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to these sorts of things.

If you're at a (quiet-ish) party or event, and you see someone on their own, but on the other side of the room, or walking around.

If I want to go and talk to them, what exactly should I do to start the conversation?

I need to know what actions I should take, as well as some examples of what to say.

This could be either for friendship or flirting, but I can imagine that the very first bits will largely be the same.

OP, you are hugely overthinking this. :scramble: Just go up to them and say "hello, how are you doing?". Basic human preschool interaction here, no need to overthink it. After that, you can ask "what's your name?" and then "are you here alone?". Depending on if this is friendship or not, you might want to avoid things that sound flirty if you aren't hitting on the person. If you are at a party, everyone there should expect to talk to people and possibly get flirted with.

If you are interested in them/want to flirt (assuming you are a guy but you can change this to girl stuff if you are female), you can jokingly say something like "how tall is your boyfriend?", "whats your boyfriend do for a living?", or "your boyfriend is a lucky guy", see how they respond. They'll usually quickly tell you if they are taken or not. If they are taken, just be nice and say "bummer oh well nice talking to you!". If they AREN'T taken, you can say something funny like "are you taking applicants for the position of boyfriend?" or say "in that case could I hang out with you this evening?".

You just need to go with the flow and don't overthink it. Nerves will kick in, just deal with it. It's not bad that women (or men) see you nervous, then they don't think you are some kind of pick up artist/player/d-bag. Good luck.

Archived