"We won't keep you hanging." ==> Answer to interview process question

I had a second interview yesterday and I didn't feel good about it. Not because I didn't answer the questions right, but I just couldn't feel the connection with the interviewers.

So when it came to the end of the interview, I asked what the next step in the process would be. The director (not the person I would be working with) said this death sentence:

"Well, we're interviewing a few more candidates today...oh! I have so many meetings today. We'll let you know soon. When, I don't know yet. We're looking to hire to people in this department. But we want to make a decision pretty quickly..."

And then the worst thing I've ever heard..."But we definitely won't keep you hanging."

How many of you think I got the job?

Yep, I did. I sent it as soon as I got home. I just hope I get a call today or on Monday, at least. The the thing is, I got the first interview on Monday, got a call on Tuesday for a second interview. Had it yesterday. I'm scared that if I don't hear from them today that I didn't get it.

Like the director said, they move pretty quickly. Gosh, I hate the waiting game!!

I agree. I think the response was pretty neutral. Not all places are organized in this way... they may have no idea when the final decision is being made. I don't think it was the kiss of death at all.

Keep looking for other jobs and if you don't hear back in about a week, I would say you are in the clear to follow-up. You want to look eager... but at the same time, you don't really want to annoy them.

Good luck!

Archived