"Fitting in" with peers at new job?

Last month, I began working at a rather large company. It's one of those companies where there are long/strange hours and the place feels like a campus. There are also a lot of people at this level who are in the same age group as me (22-25). So far, I have one very good friend. We started the same day, went through the same things together (and continue to), and get along real well.

While work itself is great and I have a good friend I work with now, there's a little problem. We still seemed to be considered "new" and have trouble making other "real" friends (we have plenty of acquaintances, but not actual friends). It's not for a lack of trying. I know that, in my case, I am naturally gregarious. I will try and engage anyone I meet, am working with, or am stationed near. It's always been that way with me. My friend is a little less talkative, but is friendly and sociable as well. Regardless, we can't get past the acquaintance stage with people without being too forward.

We have both noticed this trend as well. People we see joke that we're always together. At dinner in the cafeteria earlier this week (remember, late hours), we saw a group of co-workers our age. However, their table was basically full, and my friend noted that they saw us and did not ask us to join.

One thing I noticed was that some of them have been working here for 8-12+ months and were hanging out with people who have worked here 4-6 months. This suggests one of two things:

- The newer people in those groups somehow shed their newbie label and are considered "the same" as the longer crowd.

- We will be meeting people newer than us in the near future and will be able to strike friendships with them...I hope.

Earlier, I mentioned that people joke about how we are always together. While we are both friends and would be together anyway, it is also a defense mechanism; it's not as if other people are jumping at the bit to hang out with us. What else are we to do?

So, my question here...what's the best way to go about trying to make friends at this job? Because of the hours/days/other factors, our social life = work. Anyone we know is going to be from work. We both talk to people while at work, but no one seems to want us past the acquaintance level with them. At the same time, I wonder when this "new" label will wear off.

With given time and people get to know you I'm sure there will be many opportunities to get to know others. I wouldn't stress too much over it right now. I've had some jobs that made good work friends instantly while others took me awhile. Just depends on the company culture really. Besides I'm sure people are curious of the new people. So don't write yourself off as a newbie but a fresh breathe to the company

With given time and people get to know you I'm sure there will be many opportunities to get to know others. I wouldn't stress too much over it right now. I've had some jobs that made good work friends instantly while others took me awhile. Just depends on the company culture really. Besides I'm sure people are curious of the new people. So don't write yourself off as a newbie but a fresh breathe to the company

You're probably right, things will get better with time. It has to. I just wonder how long that will be.

I bolded the part about people being curious. My supervisors are curious for obvious reasons. My peers? Surprisingly, not as much. There are a lot of people around my age in the company, as well as in my department. Even when I am meeting one of my peers, they're nice, but they don't exactly seem forward.

Maybe it's because it's NCAA Tournament time and people at work are making brackets, forming their own pools, etc. Since my friend and I are still somewhat new, we don't know who is running certain pools.

One of my higher supervisors told me I'm no longer considered "new" by them and I'm ready to take on whatever comes my way. Why do my peers feel differently? Maybe it will help make me feel "not new" so to speak.

Last month, I began working at a rather large company.

I wonder when this "new" label will wear off.

A month is still very early days so I am not really surprised people still see you as the new guy - you ARE the new guy! lol.

As for making friends at the job, I say just go with the flow and it usually sorts itself out naturally. No need to be so over keen/eager to make new friends. Take a deep breath. Relax already, lol.

Archived