Ask For Advice

Thread: Few good friends are better than many acquaintances... sure?

Unhumble

Few good friends are better than many acquaintances... sure?

I often hear something along the lines of "It's better to have few good friends instead of many acquaintances" and different variations of that phrase which seem to convey the same point.

I would like to ask you why you think such phrase would apply or "be true"; and why, according to you, the opposite ("it's better to have many acquaintances than just a few friends") would be bad.

I'm growing up and though I had the former attitude in the beginning, I'm starting to feel that the latter is more true. I won't say why yet. For now I just want to re-assess why that phrase/saying is so accepted world-wide...

Thank you

Lana0120
    If they are real friends they are people you can trust, rely on, talk to about things that go beyond small talk and you'll have a connection. Those are worthwhile things. Having many acquaintances means you'll have people to say hi and bye to, maybe people to do things with and talk to on a very superficial level, but you'll be holding people at arm's length. However, whilst having a few good friends is great, letting them get close to you gives them more of an opportunity to hurt you, whereas acquaintances might irritate you, but probably won't be able to hurt you. Overall, I'd prefer a few friends to many acquaintances, BUT... all the better if you have a few friends AND many acquaintances.

Unhumble
    I think this is also what I usually used to think: I had many acquaintances and few friends.

But let me elaborate on why I think that - for my life - it's more convenient not to have any too close friends at all, and distribute/share my time with everyone equally (even if they're thousands...):
    As you said, the closer the friends, the more they know about you, and if anything negative should happen, the easier it is for them to hurt you than if anyone else does.
    That's just one point. I think there's more...
    The more they know about you, the easier it is for them to "control" you in some way. Even if they do it unconsciously, they create this kind of dependence and bond that remove some freedom from your own actions, thoughts and opinions.
    Throughout the years I constantly had this impression that my closer friends influence me a lot. Whereas I have more freedom to "do the things the way I want" when I'm working or hanging around with people to whom I don't reveal a lot about myself.
    Close friends have the ability to humiliate you in public without even knowing that they're doing so. Simply because they joke around unconsciously and don't know what effects might be produced.

And there's another thing that makes me prefer a bit of distance rather than too close friendship: when I'm with people who don't know too much about me, I can flexibly use my authority; whereas among too close friends, I'm the village idiot :P

It's nice to joke around and trust me I have a great sense of self-humor (which I'm quite popular for), but even that doesn't work when it comes to demonstrating some authority if my too-close-friends are around.

BTW Have you ever experienced situations in which you're with your close friends and you are trying to flirt with someone you just met... and your friends just start joking around and ruining everything?
    That's number one reason I don't want close friends anymore.

And then... all the silly comments in social situations...
    no, I'm fed up with that.

Lana0120
    I think you're too orientated on control to be honest. That's exactly what close friendship is about... losing some control over the situation. If close friends humiliate you, either itntentionally or unintentionally, on a regular basis it means that they are not considerate of your feelings at all, and I'd question whether they are *good* friends at all. If certain people have constantly made you feel like you're the village idiot or marginalised you frequently, again, I'd question whether they were really such good friends. After all, a friend can be close without being a good friend. However, it is possible to have both. Just difficult to find.

Unhumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana0120 [Register to see the link]
    I think you're too orientated on control to be honest. That's exactly what close friendship is about... losing some control over the situation. If close friends humiliate you, either itntentionally or unintentionally, on a regular basis it means that they are not considerate of your feelings at all, and I'd question whether they are *good* friends at all. If certain people have constantly made you feel like you're the village idiot or marginalised you frequently, again, I'd question whether they were really such good friends. After all, a friend can be close without being a good friend. However, it is possible to have both. Just difficult to find.
    I'm not oriented on control; I just prefer control over humiliation. I have never experienced a "way in between", just those two options.

The problem is my personality. I have a personality that, under all the intricate layers of surface, is an easy prey for people who like to make jokes; because deep inside, I am the village idiot.

And I don't like this to come to the surface. I don't want this to be revealed. Not because I'm hurt about being a village idiot. I know it and I actually am fine with it. But I simply know that being the village idiot isn't compatible within social circumstances, leadership and other things that are useful in practical life. And which girl likes village idiots...?
    Whenever I start feeling comfortable and confident with people who get very close to me, I slowly start revealing that aspect of my personality... but usually, intentionally or unintentionally, they end up giving me the same treat.

None of my close friends accepts the fact that I'm a village idiot who wants to take on society

Which is why I'm reluctant to reveal things to everyone and get too close, i.e. I prefer not having friends.

Top Threads
In need of help
I slept with my best friends ex about a month after they split, I'd always had a crush but I was drunk and it wasn't meant to happen. But then it
Misunderstanding and ostracisation
A close friend (Sam) told me when he started seeing his current girlfriend (Anne) that she and her ex (Max) had had a relationship wherein he had
Should I Bother?
So one of my former best friends is one of my ex's twin sisters. I have known them since they were about 14 or so and I'm about 4 years older
Do I have a right to be annoyed/frustrated?
Hello everyone, I will try to short this up as much as possible. I lived with a girl in college that I could easily call my best friend. We did
Just curious
Looking for some advice I moved to another city about 40 minutes from my hometown I stay in contact with my group of friends and best friend by
One-sided friendship?
I'm new here, but I really need help because I have no idea what to do about me and my best friend. We've known each other for a little over five
Strange/funny dilemma with Facebook friend (amusing)... lol
Iím having a bit of a strange dilemma with an old classmate from years ago. We are both in our late twenties by the way. We were never close but we

Featured Threads
Parent and relationships problems
So clearly i need help sooo i will get right into the story.....sorry its so long I am a 25 year old male who is in a relationship with my 19
My boyfriend is trying to date other woman on online dating site.
I really need help. I am so confused. My boyfriend is on online dating site. He said he wants to date other women. We were on and off relationship
My wife left me without having even a talk
Hi everybody, I wonder if this is normal just to leave a marriage of 7 years without having a proper talk before moving on? It happened to me that
Confused about FWB
Last weekend my FWB and I made plans to meet up. He drove down from his place to go to a party with friends, afterwards he was coming to spend the
Everything is just JUMBLED
I have an extremely, EXTREMELY screwed up life. At least from my point of view it is. At least I think I'm the only one that knows my own
Getting over someone to be with them again later?
Long story short, my ex broke up with me after 4 years because he said he was immature and needed to grow up without me and part of that was meeting
Need Advice - it's urgent for me
Hello Everyone, I meesed up my life and I take full responsibilty. I ned advice and what to do to remedy the situation immediately and prevent it
Ask For Advice