emu oil (vegetarians and vegans probably won't like it!)

I've been jojoba oil on my face but I haven't been too happy with it lately. I always have a greasy face and I end up having to clean my face in the morning (I usually clean my face once a day) and my face will break out if I use too much. LOL...my face is so picky! I even had to change to 100% pure mineral makeup because of my picky face.

I'm a minimalist when it comes to skin care and like natural ingrediants. Anyone ever use emu oil? It's a bit expensive but I probably won't go through the bottle too fast anyway.

EDIT: sorry for the confusion! I get greasy skin if I use too much jojoba oil. My skin type is combination in summer and then it gets dry in winter.

I may be over-simplifying things but if you have trouble with greasy skin, I think the last thing you would want to put on it would be an oil of any kind.

A light, oil-free moisturizer might work better for you.

I've never tried emu oil, but here's a site saying what it is commonly used for: link removed

you should try witch hazel..thats acts as a great toner for your skin..other natural things you can use for your skin are Tomato, oatmeal and aloe are very good for controlling oil.. in fact just using a oatmeal by itself is very good.

Honey is also very good for your skin.. it makes it nice and soft.

and most emu oil is taken from the milk of the emu..not the actual emu.

I use umu oil in my hair ...(when it starts getting a little dry on the ends) ..i swear by it.... and i only pay about 10 bucks for a fairly large bottle.

but i agree with Bella Donna.. putting emu oil on an already oily face may not be the best of ideas.

you can use aa virgin cconut oil as well.. Make sure its the real stuff, not just some crap you get in a drug store.

sometimes, with oils like this, its better to think of them as a conditioner.. so leave it on your face for 10 minutes then rinse it off.

Problem with most moisturisers, if you take a look at the main ingredient, it is water.... this is ony a temporary solutions.. It feels great for about 10 minutes then that water just dries up your skin, thats why its better to use something with oil in is if you need to moisturise

I may be over-simplifying things but if you have trouble with greasy skin, I think the last thing you would want to put on it would be an oil of any kind.

A light, oil-free moisturizer might work better for you.

I've never tried emu oil, but here's a site saying what it is commonly used for: link removed

I don't have greasy skin. I have combination in the summer and dry in the winter. I only get greasy skin if I use too much.

The problem with "light oil-free" moisturizers is my face HATES -cones (like dimethicone) and that is usually an ingrediant in almost everything on the market. Companies would rather cover up dry skin with fake softness than actually moisturize the skin.

EDIT:

shikashika, I always get my oils at a health food store.

you can use aa virgin cconut oil as well.. Make sure its the real stuff, not just some crap you get in a drug store.

sometimes, with oils like this, its better to think of them as a conditioner.. so leave it on your face for 10 minutes then rinse it off.

Problem with most moisturisers, if you take a look at the main ingredient, it is water.... this is ony a temporary solutions.. It feels great for about 10 minutes then that water just dries up your skin, thats why its better to use something with oil in is if you need to moisturise

not just the water ..but there is also alcohol/perfume in these products to create fragrance .. meanwhile the alcohol dries up your skin as well.

as mentioned before witch hazel is great - use that to tone your skin then try grapeseed oil...even the stuff from the cooking oil section...

it moisturises without flaring up acne and can even help acne

im like you i dont go for big name products and keep things natural and peeps say ive always had great skin

hope this helps

1guygirl, it's good to hear from someone who doesn't use big name products. Do you switch it up depending on the season?

Ellie2006, OMG! link removed I want to try that but I haven't had the nerve.

If we are talking about the same animal (a big bird that lives in Oz), it's a bird and does not produce milk.

Yeah, I thought they killed the bird to get the fat that they get the oil from? But I'm sure they use the emu meat for food and the skin for leather.

So far I've been looking into these oils:

-Almond Oil (I heard it's a light oil)...haven't checked to see if it clogs pores

-Emu Oil ...the benefits sound great but I'm trying to see if it is too heavy or will be just right.

-Witch Hazel and grapeseed oil...I will have to look into that!

1guygirl

Ellie2006, OMG! link removed I want to try that but I haven't had the nerve.

one thing about the oil cleansing method.. how they say you need oil to get rid of oil also works for body fat.

You need to eat good healthy fats to lose fat!

I have used virgin pure coconut oil on my skin and hair and it looks and feels great!

Recently i have become much more interested in making my own facial products, shampoo, conditioner.. when you look at all the crap thats in those bottles, its no wonder we all end up getting cancer!

I swear by Vitamin E oil. I have combination skin.

It's not very expensive, and I have seen a decrease in wrinkles and discolorations. I originally bought it for scars, but it is an overall excellent moisturizer as well.

It's also great for lips, even a bit for a gloss too.

My skin is sensitive, and in general, I have much better success with plant based products than anything containing animal.

It's not very expensive, and I have seen a decrease in wrinkles and discolorations. I originally bought it for scars, but it is an overall excellent moisturizer as well.

My skin is sensitive, and in general, I have much better success with plant based products than anything containing animal.

very interesting.. so many products claim to have vitamin e oil in them, yet I've never used just vitamin e oil.. is it in an oil form? or a cream?

You can get it in a multitude of creams, lotions, and general crap.

I prefer the pure oil. It is a clear, somewhat gloopy thick oil. For the super-moisturizing (I like to use it at night, and when I wake up it is all absorbed).

thats what I'm looking for... the pure stuff!! with all those other creams you get crap in it that dries you out!

I have a bunch of vitamin E pills that are getting old. Can I pop them and use the oil in them?

Interesting..i guess it just proves you have to check your facts.. i was told by someone whom i respected that emu's were not killed for the oil.

The emus would be farmed animals or may be byproduct of culling of the birds but definitely you cannot extract emu oil without killing the animal.

most emu oil is taken from the milk of the emu..not the actual emu.

All Emu oil is taken from the fat of the bird not the milk, I don't know where you got that idea from (sorry if someone else has said this because I stopped reading the thread when I seen this).

but i agree with Bella Donna.. putting emu oil on an already oily face may not be the best of ideas.

Why shouldn't she be using Emu oil, afterall it is used in the treatment of acne.

To the OP

Since you said that your skin gets drier in the winter time, emu oil would be perfect for you since it forms a barrier on your skin to protect it against environmental elements. The good thing about emu oil is that a little goes a long way, you only want to use a few drops of the oil for your face and since it is highly penetrating you can wipe the excess oil off. Olive oil is also very good and super cheap. You really want to buy the Australian made emu oil not the American made, our oil is superior because of the diet of our birds and our TGA is tougher than the FDA so you are guaranteed to get a superior product.

If you have any other questions just ask, I have been using this oil for a long time. BTW I have oily skin.

All Emu oil is taken from the fat of the bird not the milk, I don't know where you got that idea from (sorry if someone else has said this because I stopped reading the thread when I seen this).

Why shouldn't she be using Emu oil, afterall it is used in the treatment of acne.

Yes...it was already pointed out..and thank you for pointing out my mistake again... sigh. lol

What's the shelf life on emu oil? Should I store it in the fridge or just in my room (75F-80F in the summer!).

Emu oil has naturally occurring vitamin E in it so it's shelf life is about 2 years. It is fine to store it at room temperature.

Yes...it was already pointed out..and thank you for pointing out my mistake again... sigh. lol

Lol sorry, I should learn to read the whole thread before replying.

Archived