I still can't get over my ex after more than a year...Please help?? :(

Alright I've never done anything as to posting in threads or something like this, but here goes nothing...

I've been having serious issues lately with getting over my ex-boyfriend that I broke up with about a year and a month ago; I broke up with him becuase his drug addiction was over coming our relationship way too much.

We had been dating for a little more than a year and a half when I broke up with him, he was my first everything (1st kiss, 1st long term relationship, and some other stuff too...) I wish I could tell him how I feel but I'm too scared that he won't understand.

And a few months ago one of my friends told me that she was hanging out with my ex and he said that he still missed me. If anyone has advice for what i should do I would be so VERY grateful.

Ps- not sure if this info is important, but I'm a 15 year old girl and I have depression and anxiety issues.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks guys!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

You need to stay away from him. Drug addiction is huge, it ruined lives, you definitely don't want that your life. You made the right decision to break up with him, just hang in there. Don't worry about if he still misses you or anything, it doesn't matter, you just need to stay away.

Plus you are way way too young, don't worry that much about trying to date other people, just focus on moving on, studies, having a life etc, you will get over him, trust me.

GomeGirl, you are 15, have been in a long term relationship already with a man who has an addiction and you are having trouble getting over him? Please see a counselor asap. There must be counselors who specialize in young adult cases.

I already to see a therapist and a psychiatrist though, and it's not the psychiatrist fault that i still can't get over him, because he's one of the best psychiatrists in Minnesota (where i live).

GomeGirl. Would simply urge you to concentrate on yourself for a bit. Are you in school? Shouldn't you be thinking about college? Why do you not think of education at this time? Think about it. If you spent the same amount of time working on school at this time, chances are you will go to a really good college perhaps even with a schol. There are more things to motivate you than a boy at your age. Hugs

GomeGirl. Would simply urge you to concentrate on yourself for a bit. Are you in school? Shouldn't you be thinking about college? Why do you not think of education at this time? Think about it. If you spent the same amount of time working on school at this time, chances are you will go to a really good college perhaps even with a schol. There are more things to motivate you than a boy at your age. Hugs

Yes, I'm going to be a sophmore in high school this year, and this year i already plan to ditch pretty much everyone (besides my bestfriend) and focus on school, school, and even more school.

When you are your age, you have an extra 'umph' of love hormones going on that really ups your feelings and the drama of breaking up with your first love.

I know it is hard, but it would help you to know that part of it being hard is because he was your first, this is uncharted territory for you to navigate.

The thing is, if he was into drugs, drug addicts are in love with drugs! That is their true love unless they get themselves into rehab and totally stop using. They obsess about drugs the way you might obsess about a BF, because they are truly addicted and in love with the way they feel when high. So you just can't compete with that. And not matter how strong your love is, you can't change another person. So he may 'miss' you, but if he's still doing drugs, he loves his drugs more than you and you can't compete with that and those drugs will wreck both his life and yours if you let it.

So you have to focus on ACCEPTING that he's an addict. And if he's still using, there is no point to fantasizing about him anymore. He just didn't turn out to be who you hoped he would be, and as long as he's using, you need to cut contact with him, avoid him, and work on letting go and acceptance rather than hanging onto daydreams about him.

Archived