Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Member

When to tell you're parents your dating someone?

So how long do you wait to tell your parents that you're dating someone? I've been seeing someone now for the past 3 weeks, but each time I've gone out I've lied to my parents and told them I'm catching up with girlfriends (I still live at home with my parents). I've been told to put it off as long as possible till I sort out what we feel for each other without getting their judgements clouding my emotions.
    But I had another date last night and he said he could see this continuing. And as time goes by its going to be harder to keep lying/disguising it.
    So...when's the right time?
    Thanks for your response's in advance.

My parents know but I don't talk much about that person or wish to answer many questions at the moment. Nor am I interested in having them meet just yet. It's still very early and I have a quite a bit of questions that I want to get answered before I start the meet/greet. I think that's a good move on your part to wait a while before you start introducing.

When you feel ready to do it. I finally had to tell mine when I just kinda decided not to come home one night.....which happened in around 3 weeks. He ended up meeting my parents sooner than I had intended though. I wanted to wait another month but him and I crossed paths with my parents one day so that just took care of that. LOL

Why do you have to lie to your parents? At 23, you're an adult, and able to chose who you date.
    "When you start rationalizing and accepting a cheater's behaviour/excuses, you start playing a game of how low can you go." ~ Lavenderdove ~

You are 23 years old. Don't lie to them. Tell them you are going on a date. You don't have to introduce them or anything until you feel like you are in a relaitonship that you care about, but why lie? That just makes it harder in the long run. You are an adult what are you scared they are going to say?

i typically don't tell my parents who i'm dating early on because they are super nosey and think every girl i am going out or even friends with is my future wife.

so i try avoid unecessary drama

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rosephase View Post
    You are 23 years old. Don't lie to them. Tell them you are going on a date. You don't have to introduce them or anything until you feel like you are in a relaitonship that you care about, but why lie? That just makes it harder in the long run. You are an adult what are you scared they are going to say?
    Well for starters...he is not my nationality. So I know they won't be happy in regards to that. And also as Shudder said, they'll think that he is my potential future husband. They have this naive view on things. They both only dated each other and hooked up with each other (i.e. married) in that respect.
    Oh no I don't plan on introducing him to my parents just yet either...ideally I'd like to wait well, well into the future for that. Its just mentioning "hey, I'm going on a date".
    And then there's going to be all those awkward conversations of "don't sleep with him. You should only sleep with someone after your married. Have you done anything? He only has guys living at his house?? I'm not happy you spending time there alone with him." etc etc.

While I agree with not lying because we are adults. My parents are super nosey and I had no intention of saying anything till I was sure. If I'm gonna put up with the 20 million questions from my crazy asian mom, I needed to know he was worth my time first.

Quote Originally Posted by rockerstar View Post
    Well for starters...he is not my nationality. So I know they won't be happy in regards to that. And also as Shudder said, they'll think that he is my potential future husband. They have this naive view on things. They both only dated each other and hooked up with each other (i.e. married) in that respect.
    Oh no I don't plan on introducing him to my parents just yet either...ideally I'd like to wait well, well into the future for that. Its just mentioning "hey, I'm going on a date".
    And then there's going to be all those awkward conversations of "don't sleep with him. You should only sleep with someone after your married. Have you done anything? He only has guys living at his house?? I'm not happy you spending time there alone with him." etc etc.
    I am just curious. What is his nationality and yours?

Quote Originally Posted by ladyninja30 View Post
    While I agree with not lying because we are adults. My parents are super nosey and I had no intention of saying anything till I was sure. If I'm gonna put up with the 20 million questions from my crazy asian mom, I needed to know he was worth my time first.
    LOL ladyninja30 you're funny, hahah....Yeah some parents are super nosy, unfortunately my whole entire family is nosy, and its f8ken annoying. It doesn't matter how old you're sometimes its just super duper annoying when people get all nosy about your love life. I usually wait until I'm comfortable enough and I know for sure I want to date the person which may take up to 3 months sometimes lol, then I'll introduce them to my parents.
    Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend."
    Bruce Lee

•  

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Related Articles & Books
    by Margarita Nahapetyan
    Contrary to the common belief that online dating is only for the young individuals, the new research by two Bowling Green State University professors ...
    by Margarita Nahapetyan
    How much are men willing to spend while dating highly depends on a number of women available around them, claims a new research by the University of ...
    by Margarita Nahapetyan
    It turns out that the real problem for unemployed men is not that they cannot pay their bills, but that they actually cannot get dates, a new survey ...